Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2012, 06:19 AM   #421
Aquarium Advice Addict

Was thinking about Bio pellets and running them on my system. Has anyone used them before BRS has a good deal on the reactor for 75.99 with a pack of pellets. But I want to know how good they work before I get that system

Old 01-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #422
Aquarium Advice Freak

Go to you tube and look up lafishguy. He kinda sux. But a couple months ago he did this interview with this guy about biopellets that was really good. From what he was saying the only downfall he's seen with them is they work too efficiently some times. If your running a tank with a lot of softies it could make your tank crash by completely stripping your rank of nitrates and phosphates. Check it out. It really sold me on them. I'll look it up and see what the name of the video was, but it was a two part video and one of the pics was a reactor and the other was a face pic of a bigger guy with a beard.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:36 PM   #423
Aquarium Advice Freak

La fishguy, bio pellets, episode 107..... There is two parts to the video..... Oh and I was asking the owner of my lfs about them and he said he does maintenance on a big tank that doesn't get many water changes. And the guy had consistent nitrates of over 50. They started running bio pellets and he's down below 10 after a couple months.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #424
Aquarium Advice Addict

With biopellets I here you will have a algae out brake first and reading will go off the charts has this happens to you
Old 01-30-2012, 10:28 PM   #425
Aquarium Advice Freak

I haven't ran them yet. Hopefully I'll order mine next Friday. What reading go off the charts? I'm assuming the algea outbreak is from the nutrient "film" it releases. Did you watch that video I recommend? He has his basically running directly into the skimmer and he said it makes it go nutz.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:36 PM   #426
Aquarium Advice Addict

It said no3 po4 will go crazy and then start to drop after that it also said that you will need to feed heavy so your soft corals can get there food.... I did watch the video and it was very informing and I have heard that you should run it to your Skimmer aswell to pull everything out
Old 01-30-2012, 11:21 PM   #427
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wasn't that crazy how much he was feeding that size tank. That's gotta be like 5-10 dollars a day. Crazy.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:36 PM   #428
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is what I read online that you need to feed heavy. Also I was wondering is if I run Bio pellets do I need macro in my refuge cuz the Bio pellets take care of all the stuff the macro uses
Old 01-31-2012, 12:37 AM   #429
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would think that u wouldn't need to, but would probably still be able to. Pods like to hang out in macro. So it would still be nice to have the biodiversity.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:56 AM   #430
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah but I wonder if it would live cuz that is its food.

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com