new 55 gallon reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just a question how long should I run my lights on my tank its 2 250 hqi and 2 130 attinics I don't want to have them running to long

rob_mango said:
Just a question how long should I run my lights on my tank its 2 250 hqi and 2 130 attinics I don't want to have them running to long

8 hrs on the MH and 10 to 12 on the actinic's .

OK another question a rose bubble tip anninome what do u feed a buddy of mine has one and needs to know

Nice fish you got there. I think chopped up shrimp and scallops would work to feed the nem.

They are fine for feeding anemones/corals. You just cant feeding them to fish. Chopped silversides are a very common way to feed BTAs and mushrooms.

OK so I am going ahead and putting a UV on my tank and I am going really big I am going with a emporer aquatic 80 Watt ( going so big just in case I change to a bigger tank) but now my only question is can I over filter my water it's a 55 gallon with a g3 and a 80 Watt UV idk if there is a such a thing as over filtering but can someone let me know

The Uv I also would skip but itf it's what you want good for you. :)

I wouldnt consider the UV as a "filter" as it just kills bacteria and other things in the flow and won't help keep the tank clean, except for maybe from algae.

The G3 goes up to 85 gallons and should be sufficent for your needs on a 55. I would in no way consider your proposed setup as overfiltered.

How is the G3 anyway? It looks so techy but was soo expensive I skipped it and went to a fluval fx5. Now THAT would be overfiltering. LOL

The g3 works great it pulls stuff out all the time it never stops and from what I have read was the g3 was good to 150 gallon tank or is that just for a Fowlr tank

Well I want the greenish tint removed that is y I am thinking a UV unless there is another way to do it I don't trust ozone

Ah I understand the want for the uv then. I just pulled up this

Amazon.com: Fluval G3 Advanced Filtration System: Pet Supplies

It has the specs for the g3 on the page. It looks like an awesome filter though.

Have you considered going with a skimmer? Since you have no sump they do make hang on skimemrs that are just as good almost as an in sump model. That would also help your filtering.

Usually the algae is a sign of excess nutrients in the water, what all do you have in the tank and hwo often do you feed? What are your lights and their schedule? A uv should knock out algae issues but it's always better to try to find the cause and go from there.
:)

HAHA I thought he meant filter, cause that G3 fluval looks awesome. LOL

The if thats the case what other filtration is there Rob? You have a sump all setup then I guess.

I feel silly now. hehehe....I dont know why I automatically thought fluval.

Back
Top Bottom