new 55 gallon reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rob_mango

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys just wanted to let everyone know I am starting a 55 gallon reef build it is quit the venture here is a pic of how it looks so far

Well the tank will go like this I have an overflow box feeding a 25 gallon tank turned in to sump with a knock off g2 Skimmer ( that will b replaced with my g3 I have just sitting around) then passes to the fuge with about 20 lbs of live rock then pumped back to tank with a mag 12b pump. The lighting I am going to go with is a current fixture that is 2 250 Watt hqi with 2 130 Watt attinic sorry the pic is dark I will try to get a better one

Looks good so far! Are you gonna add some macro algae to the refugium? I dont see any in there....

Also I was wondering what size UV to put on it I like to go bigger so I was thinking like a 25 Watt what do you think

Personally I would save my money. Alot of people swear by them but the same amount think its a waste. Theres so many things you can spend that kind of money on that will be a better idea. :)

just my opinion. You can search this forum for the ddiscussions on the UV and see what people are saying. There was a thread not too long ago about it.

Well Friday I am going to go get my macro alge. And test my tank to c if I can finally put some fish in. I am so tired of looking at a empty tank so excited can't wait

Wow I am amazed had the knock off g2 Skimmer running on my tank for a week and my water looked good........
Put in the g3 just 24 hrs ago and now my water is twice as clear would have never guessed that it would have made that much of a difference LOL how great is that

looks great! I like the rockwork, lots of overhangs and places for fishto swim in and out of. Cant see the sides though, do you have enough room to get at the sides to clean them or is the rock too close to the side walls?

Nice. I didn't plan ahead on some of my earlier tanks and had quite the fit when i couldnt clean it properly. LOL I've since learned that the back glass can never stay clean with all my rock but the sides drive me nuts. The sscraping of the coralline is the worst! You really have to get in there with the razor. Luckily i have just enough room now.

I have literally restacked my rock hundreds of times. I am never happy it seems. lol

You;ll find the perfect combination. :-D

make sure you leave some space for corals too! And some nooks and crannies for the fish you buy to hide and play.

there is no "set" rule as to how much live rock so when you think youre tank is good then youre set. There are "recommendations" of 1.5 to 2 lbs per gallon but it's just a guide line in my book, you have enough rock when you think you have enough rock. I stopped at 200lbs or so in my 125 cause thats where Ithink it looks best and is most functional. I could add another 50lbs easy but I think THAT would be too much. I have lots of porous rock too so pods and other creepies have places to live and multiply. Plus i need alot of surface space for my corals too. :-D

(y)looks good ,,i like it..
+1 on the rock work,,it'll change 10 x :lol:
Also ,I think a UV is a waste also...
Good luck and have fun

I just want the back wall to be covered but I am happy with how it looks what I am thinking is look and only buy flat rocks to put shelves in there

Back
Top Bottom