Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-16-2014, 12:01 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

until ammonia is turned to nitrate in 24 hours dont add fish, after ammonia can turn to nitrate in 24 hours do a couple large water changes before adding fish.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:27 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I wouldn't do a water change only 7 days in. Let the amonia work itself out.

With live sand your cycle would be sped up, just keep testing amonia till it reads 0. Could be quick. I started a tank with live sand and some base rock and it cycled in 2 weeks. You never really know, just test test test....

Old 12-17-2014, 12:26 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'd be concerned about putting the rock directly on the glass. Doing so can inhibit water flow, put pressure on your glass, and make it more difficult to retrieve snails, detritus, etc. just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 12-17-2014, 12:28 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

One other thing... Dig that rock into the sand to reduce shifting and also dead spots😊

Old 12-18-2014, 01:24 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I feel like the The wp25 is giving the water a lot of water flow but I have a koralia hydor power head so if anything I can try to put that there to maneuver some flow back there...

I put 20 more pounds of live sand in there so it is dug in much more now I will take a picture later on...

Old 12-18-2014, 01:45 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Tie a piece of string to the handle of a fish net and you can use that to check the flow in different areas of the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 12-19-2014, 12:41 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

+1 Big Red, one thing I've learned is that thorough flow top to bottom is key😄

Old 01-03-2015, 08:16 PM   #18

good evening everyone... my aquarium has been cycling for about a month and a few days. I have a Damsel, and two sally lightfoot crabs, I have black sand so I want to get bright colored fish and coral. I only plan to have about five fish, and I also plan on tAking out the damsel and returning it to the fish store... I plan on getting two ocellaris clownfish (the ones that look like a puzzle piece), a flame angel, a yellow tang, a mandarin dragonet(but after about a year so my tank can mature enough); those are the fish that I want to get for a fact. I want to get about two more fish and that's it because I want it to be a reef aquarium so all these fish must be reef safe. these are some options for my last two fish... a Bartlett's anthias, one or two of the yellow assessors or a canary fang blenny, magenta dottyback, royal gamma.(I will most likely get one of these fishes any suggestions on which one to chose that is reef safe and good with the other fish I chose. also I know some of these fishes are more aggressive so is there any fish that I should add in first or last

Old 01-11-2015, 06:33 PM   #19

I finally got my reef octopus classic bh1000 it was a bit of a pain setting up but the videos were very helpful ... I'm going to wait a few days then start adding my lovely fish

Old 01-14-2015, 05:23 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Let the fun begin!!! Make sure to space out your additions. Its hard to slowly add fish cause once you get one in you get all excited and want to add more...lol Slow wins the race in this case...

Oh and that damsel will become super teritorial once he feels crowded in there. Could be the next fish, could be 3 from now. get him out before you have coral because you're probably going to have to remove the rock. They HATE being removed...lol

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, gallon, reef, reef tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com