Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-03-2006, 02:28 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
I haven’t seen anything like the perfecto hoods in a PC personally. Most have feet or hang from the ceiling. Also most have a glass or acrylic cover to protect the lights so I guess I just don’t understand the concern. The main reason they aren’t “right on the glass” like the perfecto hoods is because they run considerably hotter than NO lights so you would want them off the tank to help keep temps down.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 02:35 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to TheChad
tecwzrd: fair enough. The concern is just that it looks alot nicer to have the light all together with the tank cover, but I understand the reason with the heat.

I will go ahead and order the unit you suggest from eBay, and I'll take this perfecto hood back and get a glass top.

Thanks,

-TheChad

90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 02:39 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChad
The LFS said the fine sponge pad should be changed every 6 months, and the course sponge pad should be changed once a year.
Whaaa?

Given, I havn't run a canister filter myself, but if that's the proscribed maintenance program, I now understand why people call canisters nitrate factories! Whatever particles get caught in the sponge will start rotting in the filter, and eventually turn into nitrates. This effect can be reduced by rinsing the filter pads in dechlorinated water on a regular basis.

Someone who's run a canister before have any input on this?
dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 02:45 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

[quote="dskidmore"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChad
Someone who's run a canister before have any input on this?
Good catch! I change out my GAC and clean my filter every 3 weeks personally. You would never want to leave a sponge filter in the canister without cleaning it for more than 3 weeks.

Amazing some of the advice that lfs give, what’s next, only do pwc once a year

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
Old 02-03-2006, 03:00 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was looking online, and it looks like Perfecto makes another unit with 2 florescent bulbs instead of 1 like we have now.

Would that work if I bought a 10,000k bulb and an Actinic bulb for the double lamp fixture?

I know the PC's would be brighter because of more wattage, but will I need that? We would like to have an Anemone, but that's about it, no corals.

Thanks,

-TheChad
90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 03:16 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

With an Anemone you would be pushing it even with the PC mentioned only giving you 260w or 4.7 wpg since most require medium to high light. The 2 bulb perfecto would only give you 80w and would severely limit your coral/invert selection. Plus they cost about the same so I really can’t see the point of going that route.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:20 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I didn't know how much the 2 bulb perfecto's cost, but I just called the LFS and it was $120, for that I'll get the PC you suggested from eBay.

Do you guys run with out a top on the tank? Or do you have glass tops?

With out a top the tank would have serious evap, but if I understand correctly, the glass top's can cause heat problems with a PC?

Is the Jebo Oddyssea Power Compact Any Good? All the Coralife PC's on eBay are Silver. I'd prefer black.

Thanks,

-TheChad
Old 02-03-2006, 03:58 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

I’m topless but I also don’t have any fish that jump and my top off is around 3 liters a day. Keeping your tank covered up leads to co2 issues which will decrease your ph/o2. I don’t know what people with carpet surfers do for proper ventilation.

The jebo units have a bad reputation compared to the Coralife. I wouldn’t get the jebo unit based on color personally but some have been happy with them.

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
Old 02-03-2006, 04:01 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I keep my glass on in the winter, and take it off in summer. My house is cold enough in winter that I don't have to worry about anything overheating, I'd rather reduce the heat loss/evaporation.
dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 11:56 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Do you guys use the pre-sponge-filter on your power heads, or just the open cage?

How about bubbles? Do you use the bubbles with the PH, or just use the PH to move water?

Thanks,

-TheChad

Tags
55 gallon, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com