New 55g Setup w/ Live Rock - Should I add any supplements?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all,

I have my new 55g tank, it’s about a month old, and I put LR in the tank a couple of weeks ago, and tested yesterday...

The Ammonia is down from 8.0ppm to 0.25ppm, the nitrites are up, and the Nitrates are up (To be expected) so the tank should be completely cycles in the next week.

I will be doing a 50% water change once the cycle is complete, then adding fish. I will be putting in my 2 clowns from my 29g, and QT'ing new fish.

My question is, should I be adding, or will I need to be adding any supplements? I don't have any coral, and I don't think I will be getting any coral, in the future I will be looking to get an anemone, but not for awhile as I have to get my $600 lighting first...

Thanks for the help,

-TheChad

Most suppliments are just not needed, especialy if this is going to be a FOWLR tank. Do not waste your money on them. Doing regular waer changes should be enough to keep your water buffered and balanced.

So no need to add calcium? My wife bought a bottle of powered calcium, but if we don't need it i'll take it back, 'stuffs expensive...

Thanks,

-TheChad

No need to add the CA. Take it back for sure. tanks with a healthy population of SPS and LPS corals MAY benefit from additions of CA depending on levels. For your purposes it is not needed. The less you dump into your tank the better.

Back
Top Bottom