New 75 gal questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hookman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I think im gonna get a 75 gal, I was thinking about spending the extra money on one with the overflow built-in instead of a cpr overflow I would hang on the back. Would this be a better set-up? Any ideas would help, Thanks and happy holidays to everyone!

i think it would be a better investment.. my first tank was a 125 gallon and i had to make an overflow and sump... now i have a 65 and it is much easier to maintain mainly because i think the verflow is built in... the only thing that bothers me is the space it takes up... but other than that, its great

A built-in internal overflow is the way to go. You will not be disappointed.

Your options are an internal or external overflow along with a custom build for the overflow of choice or doing it yourself. ReefCentral.com has alot of information in design aspects.

Thanks guys, I guess i'll try and get the built-in overflow. I was thinking about the space it takes up, but I guess that isn't a big deal. Thanks for everyones input!

The external still takes up space in your tank as well. I would much rather deal with the internal overflow and the space it takes up. I wish my tank was drilled for an internal overflow. Take it from someone with out that option, go with the internal!

Well, technically there are upper corner internal overflows, full vertical column overflows (internal), and internal/external horizontal overflows. External overflows take up more space outside of the back tank wall due to the overflow boxes, but no internal space is required. External is a cleaner look allowing for less obstructions, but costlier imo.

OK - I'll be the odd man out. I have had 2 reef tanks, neither of which was drilled for an overflow. I use an overflow box and have never had a single problem with it. It takes less rooom in a small-medium tank and may save you money on the tank. Both of my tanks were bought 2nd hand and both were set up for fresh water before I bought them.

I'm sure an internal overflow is nice but it is something that I've never missed. If you end up with an overflow box you'll be just fine.

If you have the choice, why would you not want it drilled though? An overflow box can and will put water on the floor when the siphon fails. I have seen this happen and it happed to me. I am not going to say that an internal won't overflow but it has never for me.

Design a calfo style overflow if you don't like the All Glass megaflows or the like. We have a guy locally that drills tanks and does glass work. Many many options.

ellisz, glad you mentioned drilled tanks since my posts were all geared towards drilled overflows and not hob. Hope my comments were not misguided as such. I agree with drilling :)

I actually have a 75 with an overflow. It works well, once you know what you are doing. Given you have indicated you have the resources, GET IT DRILLED. As already mentioned you will not be disappointed. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom