Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Regular

Alright so should I give the sea hare a try or take all the rocks out and scrub them? Which Is the best option or route to go?

Old 09-23-2013, 10:49 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuamani32 View Post
Alright so should I give the sea hare a try or take all the rocks out and scrub them? Which Is the best option or route to go?
That's completely up to you, we just give you options and hopefully good advice.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:53 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would start by cleaning the rock Then try to find whats feeding the algae. How much/often do you feed? what type of filter are you using? How often do you clean it?

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
I would start by cleaning the rock Then try to find whats feeding the algae. How much/often do you feed? what type of filter are you using? How often do you clean it?
Also, How old are your lights, how long do you run them during the day?
Old 09-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Regular

I barely clean the tank. Do 10 gallon water changes a week. I scrub walls with the magnet and run halides for 7 hours a day. I havent tried taking out all rocks yet because it will stir up my aqaurium and make a big mess. I Feed them flakes and pellets one to two times a day.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
I barely clean the tank. Do 10 gallon water changes a week. I scrub walls with the magnet and run halides for 7 hours a day. I havent tried taking out all rocks yet because it will stir up my aqaurium and make a big mess. I Feed them flakes and pellets one to two times a day.
There's your problem. Feeding flakes that often is where the algae nutrients are coming from. Try some frozen foods in smaller quantities, what the fish can clean up in less than 5 minutes. Drain off the water the food was frozen in as that's loaded with phosphate, if you can, just rinse it in RO water. . And try feeding every other day. I feed small amounts daily, but have huge filtration to accommodate this bio load.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Regular

Alright what sorts of frozen food should I get. I've never fed the fish anything but flakes before and don't know how this works and how much?
Old 09-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Alright what sorts of frozen food should I get. I've never fed the fish anything but flakes before and don't know how this works and how much?
Mysis shrimp is hard to beat. Krill is also good. Several mixes like Marine Cuisine are good as well. Many of us make our own foods from the grocery store. Several threads on this topic.

As far as feeding, you just want to confine most of the food to where the fish are, not broadcast it all over the tank. So for dried foods like spiralina I use a floating feeding ring. Rule of thumb is to not feed more than they can clean up in a few minutes, otherwise your CUC has to process it or your live rock has to break it down into organic compounds that algae grows on.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Regular

get a few sea urchin and about 10 mexican turbo snails
those are the best cleaners in my tank, other "cleaners" are always chilling and hanging out with the fish
Old 09-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Quote:
Originally Posted by duromega View Post
get a few sea urchin and about 10 mexican turbo snails those are the best cleaners in my tank, other "cleaners" are always chilling and hanging out with the fish
Urchins are cool but can be a royal pain. They tend to knock things over. If you get yourself some snails and watch how much you feed you should be ok. You first have to remove the algae and the snails and less feeding well help prevent it growing back. Another good method to try to remove it is to get a tooth brush and scrub it while you do your water change. Keep the syphon close to suck out the algae as it comes free.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com