New Acro/SPS Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talkn2themike

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm not a newbie been keeping a reef (softies) for about a year now. I got myself a new 90 tall 48x16x30. The foot print sucks but I plan on just doing a huge reef wall. I plan on having a bunch of Acro and Monti up top and blasto and acans towards the bottom of the tank. Not to mention more softies. I just want to know what people are using for lighting in SPS and other hard coral tanks.

I was looking into the Coralife Aqua light pro mh 150w x2 and pc 96w x 2 I have a friend that has pretty much brand new fixture (2 months old) that I can get a smoking deal on. Would that be enough for my hard corals in a 90? TYIA

I don't know how much penetration you will get with a 150MH on a 90 gal. I use a 2x250 on my 75 and it is not as tall. You might look at a 175w or 250.

talkntothemike said:
I'll look into the T5's
I personally like the look of VHO fluorescents w/ MH. The MH will provide the vast majority of the PAR the corals need. The fluorescents are mainly, if not purely, for aesthetics.
stripestheeel said:
8ft long x 2 1/2 ft high x 3 ft deep? Would x4 250 suffice with x2 10000k and x20000k or is that too intense?
It would "suffice", but if your going for a high light tank (SPS/Clam) you may want to look into 400w MH. Also at 3ft wide you may have some trouble covering that w/ 250's.

so if replaced the 250's with 400w and keep the same bulbs that would be okay?
It would be more than just OK. W/ 400's you may need a chiller-I don't have any experience w/ tanks that large. 250's may work but IMO, assuming it's going to have SPS, clams, etc., I think 400's would be ideal :wink:

My vote is for 2x250 MH with actinic suppliments of your choice. This would allow you to keep a wide variety of corals through out the entire depth of the tank. The hood mentioned would work okay put coral placement would be more of an issue (ie...SPS on top with softies and LPS filling out the lower portion of the reef.)

Back
Top Bottom