New addition advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReeferChick420

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Good evening i have a 55 gallon mixed reef aquarium... i have many different corals, assorted critters, a Neon Cleaner Goby, and two breeding clownfish... i want three more fish: a kole tang, a six-line wrasse, and a lawnmower blenny.

Afew questions:

are these compatible with each other and also the fish i already have?

what is the best order to add these in so i do not stress out the fish or have one more aggressive against the other fish?

does the neon goby do the same job as the cleaner shrimp?

i hear the kole tang will bully a wrasse or blenny is it true or should i just get the tang last?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I don't see any issues with adding those fish in about any order you want. Six lines can be aggressive so get a small one. Never had any problem with a Kole, but your tank is barely big enough for one IMO. The lawnmower needs plenty of food.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Lawnmowers are odd. I've had mine for...3 years now I think. I currently believe it is slowly withering away though it eats when I feed and there is lots of algae in the tank itself to eat.
As for the kole tang, I just added a tomini to my 55 reef. This was the last fish to be added to the system and there have been almost no issues with aggression to my surprise. I would expect the same out of that stocking list.
This would then lead to the 6 line being added last, due to its aggression. They are fast and need to eat often. This has been my downfall with wrasses, as I feed every few days since my tank is full of grazers, and they need to be fed several times a day.

It may also be your problem with the lawnmower. If he doesn't look like he swallowed a marble, he needs food.

Ok so I will probably get the lawnmower blenny first then the kole tang then the six-line wrasse

hope you have a lid for the sixline

I'm not worried about it jumping out I'm just worried about the six-line and the tang being aggressive towards the other fish... Even though they are my last two fish

That's the problem, fish most commonly jump when new to the tank or there is aggression. Over the years I've lost too many fish to open tops.

I've lost 2 sixline due to jumping, so I won't get one without first getting a lid of some kind.

I have a lid but it has a few quarter sized holes in the back where the skimmer and heater and stuff go in from... You think it will try to jump out from there?

better than nothing

They are uncanny in their accuracy. I've had fish jump thru holes just barely bigger than they were. I take it as a insult from the fish...but I digress. I would fasten some pieces of mesh over any hole you can. You want the top to breath and not block precious light energy, that's why I use the BRS mesh.

They are uncanny in their accuracy. I've had fish jump thru holes just barely bigger than they were. I take it as a insult from the fish...but I digress. I would fasten some pieces of mesh over any hole you can. You want the top to breath and not block precious light energy, that's why I use the BRS mesh.

^ This ^
And marine tanks need to off gas and glass lids can cause ph swings in some cases.
My wrasses made it out eventually.

Back
Top Bottom