Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-24-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New and looking to spend $2000

Hello, how you all doing?
Ok I want to start a reef tank.
I know people say bigger is better.
I want to spend about $2000 to start out with...not including coral and fish.
What is the best route to take and how to go about it?
I live in philly if that helps any.
Not sure how to get ahold of any local groups if their are some.
Josh

Old 02-24-2011, 08:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'd start with Craigslist, and see what you can find in your area. You can usually find a decent tank with stand for a cheap price (compared to buying new) I'd start there. If you can find something that comes with coral lights ( meaning either T5 H.O. or Metal Halide) Then you'll can figure out how much LR and sand you'll need based on the gallons.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

If your new to saltwater I would suggest not spending that much money at once on your first set-up unless your ready to lose money. You could probably pick up a 90g full set-up for around $500-700.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would check Kijiji

You can find a nice 120 gallon with stand and canopy pre drilled with sump and equipment plus lighting for under $1000. No sense in spending that kind of money on your first aquarium.

***Pics now on profile***
rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dont mess with a tall 90 get a 6' tank you can find some pretty good deals on craigslist
Old 02-24-2011, 09:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

thanks nick for that link.
yeah i am just saying i would be willing to spend that much.
i want the best and something an amateur can handle.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

here check now!!!

Dallas salt water Pets & Animals For Sale | eBay Classifieds (Kijiji) - Page 1

look at all those tank is philly

Check the 220 gallon for 1200 with stand and canopy and eveyrhing lol

i wanna move there just for the tanks they have so cheap haha

oh wait i got mine even cheaper, thats right :P

***Pics now on profile***
rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:53 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Before you worry about what equipment you want my advice would be to start lookng at what fish and coral you like. Go to live aquaria's web site and look through their fish/coral and then come back with a list of what your favorites are and if there are any "must have" live stock for you. This will give us a better idea of what sized tank you should look at or how much you may want to budget on lights or filtration. As others have said though there are some things like tanks and stands that you can get some really good deals. I also highly suggest trying to find a local saltwater club in your area. They will often have a forum of their own and you can find a lot of equipment on their buy/sell/trade forums.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:06 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Remember that your $ startup is just a portion of the cost. If you get a bigger tank, you're going to need to do bigger water changes, use more salt, and a lot more energy with pump, lights, powerheads, etc. So once you factor all those in, then you should start thinking about a tank size. It'll be fun setting everything up for that first month, but when you start getting utility bills in and they've gone up, you want to make sure you expect it and save accordingly.

Also if you're starting up a reef tank, make sure you don't plan on moving for the next couple years, just so you can get maximum enjoyment out of everything. A lot of the more popular and eye-appealing animals need tanks that have been established for over 8 months. If you're in a dorm/apt, start with FW and then setup the reef tank when things get more permanent.

*Look for a tank that is more wide than tall (ie, bigger footprint). You'll regret it if you don't.

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:49 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

My two cents: obsess about every piece of equipment. Get the best quality, but look hard for deals. There are plenty of ways to get new equipment online and even places like craigslist. But, some equipment like tank and stand you can get used and it's fine.

Great that you have a 2k budget. Think about it like a high end business where you get quality, negotiate hard and stretch the budget.

Ask, ask, ask before buying something you're nit sure about. We've all made mistakes and can help save you from them.

Create a detailed plan. Write it down, in pencil. It will change, but plot out every every piece if equipment and livestock. Thinking ahead will save you money in the long run.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com