new Anemone & old clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nvelez12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
background: 30 gal tank- almost 3 years established tank. I have two damsels and a clownfish. The clownfish is the oldest one in the tank I've had him since I got the tank 3 years ago.

We just purchased a bubble tip anemone a week ago at the LFS. They and many others have told me since I have a tank raised clownfish they will never be able to host. Well to my utter surprise last night I noticed the clown rubbing up and being very curious to this anemone. :dance: He hovers over the nem all the time now and the other two damsels are very curious as to what the clownfish is doing so they follow him. (not sure if thats bad or not) They haven't touched the nem as much as the clownfish does but I notice that the clownfish is a little rough with the nem. It looked like he was trying to rip out some food from the nems mouth. I think it shocked the nem and he shriveled up :hide: super fast and now he looks stressed, not really happy but maybe bothered by all the attention. Can this happen? Can the anemone not like the clown?
When I got home from work today the nem was still shriveled up and the clown would not leave it alone. but a couple hours later the nem has opened back up and looks amazing again... but the clown wont go by it...? should I be worried? Also can the clownfish be too big for the nem? its a Medium size nem but the clownfish is on the heavier size lol

It's all up to the BTA if she wants the clown to host. If she wants too great but if not she will sting to defend herself and close up and she really makes her mad she will either close up or move. Worst case she will kill the clown and btw the clown is female all clowns are unless you have a pair than the smaller one will turn male. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Bubble tip anemones aren't going to kill a fish. Much less a clownfish. Their sting isn't very potent. Most likely your clown is trying to get acclimated to the anemone. So give it time.

My clowns were tank raised and took to their RBTA immediately. That being said, the female was too big at first for the nem and I was worried about damage. But for a creature without a brain, nems have a mind of their own and the clowns work around the mood the nem is in.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417045388.800073.jpg

Wow awesome pictures!! Thanks for all the help and positive advice.

Back
Top Bottom