New anemone for clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddek1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a tank bred ocellaris and am looking to get him a new anemone. I had a condy for about 5 months but he wasn't doing well and died. He was good to me while he lasted but I'm interested in something else.

I've heard a that a couple of anemones would suffice but I want to hear your opinions. I have a xenia coral up top and the condy never bothered it, he never left the sand bed.

Also, what do you think of ordering livestock online versus the pet store. There is only one saltwater store where I live so I'm limited to the stuff that they have. I'm sure I could ask them to order something thats not in stock but I'm not sure of what anemone.

I'm open to lots of advice and opinions.
Thanks!!

The first question you need to ask yourself is why did the condy die?

What size tank do you have? What lights? What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels? How much flow? What other livestock do you have?

The condy is one of your hardier anemones, and if you couldn't keep it alive I wouldn't recommend venturing out and getting another type that would be even more difficult to keep.

Clownfish may or may not host an anemone, and tank bred have a lower chance. Don't get them an anemone because you want them to host it, get then one because you've wanted an anemone.

+1 A nem has alot of needs and there is absolutely no guarantee that they will host it.. You;d have just as much luck with a coral as a nem without the worry.

What happened to your condy/ I had one ad returned it because it gets so big and my clowns wouldnt go near it. Also worried that it would eat other small fish in the tank.

Again, what type of lighting do you have and how big is the tank?

Speaking from experience, I had a condy (was suppose to be a long tentacle) and returned it because it ate a 6 line wrasse ans a clown... I then got a purple tip Sebae. He lasted 2 weeks and almost nuked my tank. I learned they are real sensitive to trate levels. My where only at 20 and that's all it took to take the poor guy out. They are hard to keep in younger tanks. But this is just my experience. I hope you have a better one.

I have a 29g bio cube with stock lighting. To be honest, the condy wasn't doing well when I had to move into my new apartment I was going to be away and didn't want it to die on me when my friend was taking care of the tank. I have a tank bred ocellaris he only took a few days to host in the condy. They had a good relationship until he began wilting. My tank has been set up in my new apartment for about a month and everything is doing well. I picked up a bubble tip on tuesday and the clown hosted the first night. He can't get away from it now.

Aside from the clown I have a coral beauty angel and a royal gamma. A few hermits, snails, a brittle star and a pulsing xenia (that doesn't really pulse, but is growing).

I don't have a protein skimmer but do weekly water changes.

Ph 8.0
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrites 0ppm
Nitrates 0-5 ppm
Salinity 1.021
I add a drop of iodine every week

Your lighting isn't strong enough and the anemone will suffer in the long run.
Why are you keeping your salinity so low? Natural seawater is 1.026
What is your iodine level at since you are dosing it?

I usually keep the salinity around 1.023 but I did a water change. I added more salt today. I don't have an iodine test kit but I follow the directions on the bottle, one drop per 25 gal and i have a 29g. How can I upgrade my lighting?

You shouldnt ever dose anything you arent testing for. Most salt mixes contain all the trace elements you need.

You will need an upgraded fixture btw.

On a lighter note, the new bubble tip has been doing well. My clown hosted with him the first night. Ive fed him 3 times in the past week and hes already grown a noticeable size. His testicles are growing longer and he reaches upright for most of the day.

hahhahahahahahaa haahhahahahahahahha ahaahahahhahahahahaha u said testicles aahhahaha u mean tenticle and that could also be because he is stretching for light

try t5's i was sucessful with my nem but it was much to big from the begining so i gave to lfs for store credit

On a lighter note, the new bubble tip has been doing well. My clown hosted with him the first night. Ive fed him 3 times in the past week and hes already grown a noticeable size. His testicles are growing longer and he reaches upright for most of the day.
What are you feeding him with (just curious).

Don't feed it. I had bta for years in a stock biocube light. They do fine and thrive. But you don't need to feed it. You can feed it some mysis here and there but it doen't need it. Also, nems don't like fluctuations in water quality. Don't dose iodine. You need to do your water changes and keep water at 1.026.

Back
Top Bottom