New Anemone gone missing!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryS

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anemone gone missing!
Added 2 Anemone Clowns late Sunday. These the first 2 fish in a cycled tank already supporting a hammerhead (very happy!), cuc, including at least 5 small feather dusters.

Larger of the 2 clowns appeared ill but my untrained eye bought into the LFS story that he was simply stressed. The smaller clown seems okay...I think.

Yesterday, at another LFS, in trying to diagnose the problem with the not well clown, suggested that the clowns might have been wild captured. If so, than a host anemone might unstress the guy. I bought the anemone and, he disappeared...quickly...taking refuge in some unknown hiding place in the tank and has not been seen since!

That said, the clown was doing a death spiral this afternoon and so was removed.

Almost immediately, the new tomini tang (added last night) came out of hiding. He looks great and has a healthy appetite. The smaller clown is also eating (the dead one never did) and seems okay from what I can tell.

About the reason and urgency for this post: where's the Anemone? Is this behavior normal? Thought they needed light? Seems the tan knew he had a sick tankmate, does the Anemone...and is he telling me the little clown is also sick?

Or, is the Anemone behaving normal? Please help.

hmmm how big is it? they can shrink super small and they move around. Do you have open power heads, it could have been sucked in.

The nems will walk around for awhile. If you find him under a rock, just flip the rock over. What do you mean by hammerhead?

Hammer coral perhaps?

Clowns do not need an anemone and they might not even host the one you bought. They probably sold you a sick or stressed clown and moving it to your tank was the final straw.

Nems will move around until they find a spot they like. Its very normal, it will pop up sooner or later.

How old is this tank? What do you have for lighting? Nems need an established tank of 6 months at least, preferably a year old. They also need strong lighting.

Don't believe everything your LFS tells you. Some advice may be good, but at the end of the day, they need to make money. My LFS is very good, I still take what they tell me with a grain of salt and usually refer to this site before making my decision.

hmmm how big is it? they can shrink super small and they move around. Do you have open power heads, it could have been sucked in.

Size: balled up, approx. large plum size.... in the LFS store before pulled out, he was a few inches across? Never saw him that long as he disappeared so fast.

No open powerheads. Unless he digs in sand, he's under a hidden ledge somewhere.

The nems will walk around for awhile. If you find him under a rock, just flip the rock over. What do you mean by hammerhead?

No way can I flip a rock over... this tank was originally aquascaped for a folwr...

Do they bury under rocks... hey, maybe he's behavior is being stressed? Maybe he knows the clown was sick...:confused:

upl IMG-20111116-00340.jpg

Hammer coral perhaps?

Clowns do not need an anemone and they might not even host the one you bought. They probably sold you a sick or stressed clown and moving it to your tank was the final straw.

Nems will move around until they find a spot they like. Its very normal, it will pop up sooner or later.

How old is this tank? What do you have for lighting? Nems need an established tank of 6 months at least, preferably a year old. They also need strong lighting.

Don't believe everything your LFS tells you. Some advice may be good, but at the end of the day, they need to make money. My LFS is very good, I still take what they tell me with a grain of salt and usually refer to this site before making my decision.

Tank is 43 days old. Hammerhead coral very happy and in since Nov 4th.

Lights: 2 x T5 Tank is 65g. Hammerhead thriving in the light.

Agreed on LFS... have same opinion about the main one I use. But, I'm more about resolving the issues at hand.

If the behavior of the nem is normal, I'm good. But what surprises me is that I've know they need light.... so why under a rock?

Do they actually dig into the substrate??? :confused:

Yea with that aquascaping I don't think you should waste too much time ripping it apart looking for him. He'll show himself sooner or later because he needs the light.

What LFS are you going to? I'm not all that far from Bucks Co. and am pretty familiar with most of the well known LFS in northeast PA.

IMO, your tank is way too young for an anemone and you don't have near enough light.

My anemone hates water flow so it took him a week or so to settle into its spot. Do you have really high flow in your tank?

My anemone hates water flow so it took him a week or so to settle into its spot. Do you have really high flow in your tank?

Really high flow? No. There is on 750 hydor and the return from the sump is probably at about 500 gph. Not sure I'd call that really high.

Nem Seems To Have Settled In

So, now about 10-days since my original SOS...

Photo shows where he seems to have settled in...showed up 1-day after the post that he was missing. He's located in a cave-like recess (see inside red circle) and has shaded himself some from the direct T5s.

Have been in communication with some folks who have had success with nems and they are positive about me keeping him even though I am inclined to put him up for adoption to a good home.

He looks healthy and seems to be thriving in his current home. Not really sure I understand the cautions of those who feel a tank needs to be older...unless the concern is about stability of the system...which makes sense as I understand that nems can be like the 'canary in the coalmine' sensitivity wise.

Nem 11.21 377_cr.comment jpg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom