Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

New Anemone gone missing!

Anemone gone missing!
Added 2 Anemone Clowns late Sunday. These the first 2 fish in a cycled tank already supporting a hammerhead (very happy!), cuc, including at least 5 small feather dusters.

Larger of the 2 clowns appeared ill but my untrained eye bought into the LFS story that he was simply stressed. The smaller clown seems okay...I think.

Yesterday, at another LFS, in trying to diagnose the problem with the not well clown, suggested that the clowns might have been wild captured. If so, than a host anemone might unstress the guy. I bought the anemone and, he disappeared...quickly...taking refuge in some unknown hiding place in the tank and has not been seen since!

That said, the clown was doing a death spiral this afternoon and so was removed.

Almost immediately, the new tomini tang (added last night) came out of hiding. He looks great and has a healthy appetite. The smaller clown is also eating (the dead one never did) and seems okay from what I can tell.

About the reason and urgency for this post: where's the Anemone? Is this behavior normal? Thought they needed light? Seems the tan knew he had a sick tankmate, does the Anemone...and is he telling me the little clown is also sick?

Or, is the Anemone behaving normal? Please help.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

hmmm how big is it? they can shrink super small and they move around. Do you have open power heads, it could have been sucked in.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

The nems will walk around for awhile. If you find him under a rock, just flip the rock over. What do you mean by hammerhead?
Old 11-16-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hammer coral perhaps?

Clowns do not need an anemone and they might not even host the one you bought. They probably sold you a sick or stressed clown and moving it to your tank was the final straw.

Nems will move around until they find a spot they like. Its very normal, it will pop up sooner or later.

How old is this tank? What do you have for lighting? Nems need an established tank of 6 months at least, preferably a year old. They also need strong lighting.

Don't believe everything your LFS tells you. Some advice may be good, but at the end of the day, they need to make money. My LFS is very good, I still take what they tell me with a grain of salt and usually refer to this site before making my decision.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal-Chin View Post
hmmm how big is it? they can shrink super small and they move around. Do you have open power heads, it could have been sucked in.
Size: balled up, approx. large plum size.... in the LFS store before pulled out, he was a few inches across? Never saw him that long as he disappeared so fast.

No open powerheads. Unless he digs in sand, he's under a hidden ledge somewhere.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by crister13 View Post
The nems will walk around for awhile. If you find him under a rock, just flip the rock over. What do you mean by hammerhead?
No way can I flip a rock over... this tank was originally aquascaped for a folwr...

Do they bury under rocks... hey, maybe he's behavior is being stressed? Maybe he knows the clown was sick...

Click image for larger version

Name:	upl IMG-20111116-00340.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	61512
Old 11-16-2011, 07:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallinCrew10 View Post
Hammer coral perhaps?

Clowns do not need an anemone and they might not even host the one you bought. They probably sold you a sick or stressed clown and moving it to your tank was the final straw.

Nems will move around until they find a spot they like. Its very normal, it will pop up sooner or later.

How old is this tank? What do you have for lighting? Nems need an established tank of 6 months at least, preferably a year old. They also need strong lighting.

Don't believe everything your LFS tells you. Some advice may be good, but at the end of the day, they need to make money. My LFS is very good, I still take what they tell me with a grain of salt and usually refer to this site before making my decision.

Tank is 43 days old. Hammerhead coral very happy and in since Nov 4th.

Lights: 2 x T5 Tank is 65g. Hammerhead thriving in the light.

Agreed on LFS... have same opinion about the main one I use. But, I'm more about resolving the issues at hand.

If the behavior of the nem is normal, I'm good. But what surprises me is that I've know they need light.... so why under a rock?

Do they actually dig into the substrate???
Old 11-16-2011, 07:25 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yea with that aquascaping I don't think you should waste too much time ripping it apart looking for him. He'll show himself sooner or later because he needs the light.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:47 PM   #9
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
What LFS are you going to? I'm not all that far from Bucks Co. and am pretty familiar with most of the well known LFS in northeast PA.

IMO, your tank is way too young for an anemone and you don't have near enough light.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:50 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

My anemone hates water flow so it took him a week or so to settle into its spot. Do you have really high flow in your tank?

Tags
anemone, missing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com