Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-01-2005, 05:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to shuboney
New anemone, need advice on care

Hello,

My 30 gallon tank has been established for 1 year now and I am currently beginning to stock it with small corals. I went out on a limb and bought a long tentacle anemone (4") on 12/27/2004. Since then it has been tumbling around the tank and sometimes manages to find a spot to perch for a day (at the most). In the meantime it flips over several times a day. and doesn't seem to be doing very well.

My water parameters are all normal, temp is 76deg F, moderate water movement, 2-24in Power Compact Flourescent bulbs (1x Actinic 03, and 1x 10,000k)

I add trace elements, Kent Marine Liquid Reactor (calcium), magnesium additive, and another additive to raise carbonate alkalinity.

Is there anything I can do to help this little thing out? I have actually tried PLACING it in a good spot but I came home later and it had tumbled out.

Thanks!

Old 01-02-2005, 11:07 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Can you post a pic of it?
Where did you get it from?
Are you sure it's not a sand dwelling anemome?
Mine tumbled around for a day or two till he found a nice quiet corner with little flow. He's now buried his foot in the sand and is as happy as a clam

From liveaquaria.com
"The Long Tentacle Anemone is also referred to as the Corkscrew Anemone, Sand Anemone, Red Base Anemone, and Long Tentacle Red Base Anemone. It has a similar appearance to Heteractis crispa, which has more tentacles and a tougher column. Its oral disc is usually visible and can grow up to 20" in diameter. Its tentacles are spaced further apart than other similar anemones. It is found in various forms and color patterns, but its base is usually orange to red. It is a host to clownfish, usually Amphiprion perideraion and A. clarki.

The Long Tentacle Anemone requires an aquarium with 4 inches of sand or rubble substrate in which it can hide."

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 05:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

There are two LFS's in my area, I don't usually go to to one that I bought this anemone at because the other store always has a better selection. I just happened to be there and they had this anemone and it was beautiful... I couldn't resist!

I'm not sure if it is a sand dwelling anemone... if it is then I might have a problem because I have a fine-to-coarse crushed coral substrate.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hm... I tried adding an attachment.... I guess it didn't work. Let's try this:

[/img]
Old 01-03-2005, 10:26 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I'm not an expert on anemones but it could be the Long Tentacle Anemone or a Condy.
Both need much more light than you have. Calthe store where you got it and ask them if they can give you an ID on what you bought.

Perhaps someone else here can be more help.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 10:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Have you seen this?

http://www.carlosreef.com/AnemoneFAQ.pdf

Sorry not sure on the ID but perhaps the faq listed above will be of some help.

good luck.

Tags
anemone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com