Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
New Anemone New Host?

So before asking my question, I wanted to say I know that clownfish may or may not host an anemone depending on the clownfish. I was wondering if getting different kinds of anemones but the same type will make the clown host it? For example, I have a gbta that both my ocellaris clowns have never touched. If I were to get maybe a gbta with different colors or a Rbta will it maybe host it? Or is the clown always hit and miss? As in if it doesn't host that gbta it will never host a different gbta? If the chances are 50/50 then I may be interested in getting another anemone (probably Rbta) for the tank. Also another question, is it up to the anemone to host the clown or to the clown to host the anemone?

Jake337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
How big is your tank?

I wouldnt put any more than 1 more nem in your tank unless its huge. Nem's can be aggressive towards each other but i think BTA's are the least aggressive.

Clowns are responsible for hosting not the nem.

begginersluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I've never heard of anemones stinging each other. They keep them in the same tank at the LFS for weeks until they sell and they never bother one another.

I doubt another anemone is the answer here, however. Different clowns would probably be your best route.
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
Some people say hosting is instinctive behavior and some say its a learned behavior. Im a believer that it can be learned. I taught one of my clowns to host a bta and she taught the other one how to do it. Now both of them go back and forth between two rbta's.
LaWoWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have 4 nems all inter tangled with each other, never had a problem. The clowns only host the oldest one even though they are all within a couple of inches of each nother.
Holygral is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com