New Anemone New Host?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jake337

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So before asking my question, I wanted to say I know that clownfish may or may not host an anemone depending on the clownfish. I was wondering if getting different kinds of anemones but the same type will make the clown host it? For example, I have a gbta that both my ocellaris clowns have never touched. If I were to get maybe a gbta with different colors or a Rbta will it maybe host it? Or is the clown always hit and miss? As in if it doesn't host that gbta it will never host a different gbta? If the chances are 50/50 then I may be interested in getting another anemone (probably Rbta) for the tank. Also another question, is it up to the anemone to host the clown or to the clown to host the anemone?

How big is your tank?

I wouldnt put any more than 1 more nem in your tank unless its huge. Nem's can be aggressive towards each other but i think BTA's are the least aggressive.

Clowns are responsible for hosting not the nem.

I've never heard of anemones stinging each other. They keep them in the same tank at the LFS for weeks until they sell and they never bother one another.

I doubt another anemone is the answer here, however. Different clowns would probably be your best route.

Some people say hosting is instinctive behavior and some say its a learned behavior. Im a believer that it can be learned. I taught one of my clowns to host a bta and she taught the other one how to do it. Now both of them go back and forth between two rbta's.

I have 4 nems all inter tangled with each other, never had a problem. The clowns only host the oldest one even though they are all within a couple of inches of each nother.

Back
Top Bottom