New anemone....with follow up questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reese

Aquarium Advice Activist
Yesterday I purchased a maroon BTA. After acclimating, I placed it on a great spot on the LR (yeah, I knew it wouldn't last). Anyway I just want to relay it's behavior so maybe some of you can tell me that everything's alright.

I turned off the lighting (Actinic blue 75 watt VHO and 10,000K 75 watt VHO---29 gallon tank up and running since March) around 10 pm and left on the blue LED moonlight. The anemone's tetacles became narrow and elongated and moved around a lot more. It appeared to spread out.

I woke up at 5 am to find it underneath the LR with only portions of its tentacles sticking out in two different directions. They still seem kind of elongated (less bubble tip).

Is this part of the acclimation process? I understand that these things move around a lot looking for an ideal spot but it will be alright under the rocks until then?

Thanks.

Give it some time. Do you know what lighting it was under at the LFS? It could be a photo acclimation issue.

lando said:
Give it some time. Do you know what lighting it was under at the LFS? It could be a photo acclimation issue.

According to the LFS it was under similar lighting to mine (white/blue VHO..no MH). Thanks lando...

Anenome is doing fine. It moved so as to let its tentacles out of the LR more. But it seems happy in that spot.

I fed it a piece of shrimp yesterday. What a cool animal. The way it moves the food to its mouth was fascinating.

1. How often should I feed? And how much? I only cut off a piece of a large Key West shrimp. The anemone is a few inches wide.

2. Is there any problem with running the moon lights around the clock?

3. Is there a vitamin that I should soak the shrimp in?

Thanks.

don't soak the shrimp in anything... Feed 1-2 times a month if you want and do not feed them large pieces.. Try and give it pieces no bigger then its mouth.
Try not to over feed, they get a lot of what they need from the lights..

Back
Top Bottom