New anemones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your clown doesn't need to feed it either nor do they most times. What most people mistake as their clown caring for their host is actually quite the opposite. The clown takes the food back as a means of protection and in the process the anemone grabs the food. Remember, the food does not have the ability to escape the anemones grasp as the clown does and anything that touch's their flesh is immediately trapped.

I have to disagree. My clarkii hosts/sleeps in a cave under some rock work. Anyways when it was given a condy anemone she would grab huge chunks of food and bring it to the anemone. Yet when there was no anemone she wouldn't even touch such large pieces of food.

Six-Line said:
Yet when there was no anemone she wouldn't even touch such large pieces of food.
Sorry but I would not consider that compelling evidence to the contrary. 8)

Cheers
Steve

So why dosen't the clown take the pieces back to it's cave where it feels protected? Let alone not even touch the pieces.

Six-Line said:
So why dosen't the clown take the pieces back to it's cave where it feels protected?
I thought we were discussing anemone/clown behavior :?:

Cheers
Steve

I am, this is why im saying it's feeding the anemone. If it was storing/bringing the food to a protective place to eat it why dosen't it do so with out an anemone?

Six-Line said:
If it was storing/bringing the food to a protective place to eat it why dosen't it do so with out an anemone?

steve-s said:
The clown takes the food back as a means of protection and in the process the anemone grabs the food.

No anemone, no protection! You've answered your own question really.

Cheers
Steve

SWT: I would really avoid trying to direct feed it, if anemones are fed large amounts of food the energy expenditure for digesting (and even more taxing) excreting the waste causes more stress and problems to the anemone than it is worth.
Also whenever receiving advice, remeber whom the advice is coming from...if Steve says to do something, then you can bet he knows best!

I was feeding my tank today and a piece of krill landed on my green carpet so I watched and the clowns were tring to take it off the carpet. It was like they were protecting the carpet from the food, I never paid attention to it before this thread.

kaye

When I feed krill or mysis, I have seen my two percs grab food and spit it out onto my Rose BTA that hosts them. I do not think they are feeding it, just trying to store food for later maybe. They do not do it all of the time.

Ok, its just weird that the clown doesnt feed the anemone. Kinda freaks me out so I feed it to keep it alive, but ill just feed flake and have it get the food itself

Six-Line said:
No anemone, no protection!

So it dosen't use the cave as protection?
Not in the same sense. All fish will claim territory to a certain degree even if only for sleeping but few will actually protect an area and use it throughout the day. In the case of a cave or outcropping, it's simpley a place to hide and doesn't offer any security.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom