Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-17-2004, 04:44 PM   #41
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six-Line
That carpet looks pretty bleached. Make sure to feed him well, silversides would probably be best.
I completely disagree on both accounts. The anemone has a few patch marks but nothing close to bleached and once settled should recover just fine water specs permitting. As far as feeding is concerned, you feed the fish so therefore you by default feed the anemone. Extra feeding are only needed if the tank went without general feedings.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-17-2004, 05:09 PM   #42

I think direct feeding fish to it would be best.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:09 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Where do I get silversides? I use a frozen formula variety pack, it contains stuff like brine shrimp and other stuff.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:18 PM   #44
steve-s

Quote:
I think direct feeding fish to it would be best.
Why Specifically!

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-17-2004, 07:24 PM   #45

Well when you look at them they have a very strong sting, and are extremely sticky. Not to mention they are notorious for killing and eating most fisk kept in the tank with them. Not to mention they need metal halide lighting (or at least it's recommended). So direct feeding will only help the anemone IMO.

Quote:
Where do I get silversides?
Should be at your LFS, there just glass minnows. I catch my own off shore.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:37 PM   #46
steve-s

Quote:
Well when you look at them they have a very strong sting, and are extremely sticky. Not to mention they are notorious for killing and eating most fisk kept in the tank with them. Not to mention they need metal halide lighting (or at least it's recommended). So direct feeding will only help the anemone IMO
So basically what your suggesting is because they have a mouth and the ability to capture prey they should be fed and require it?

I highly disagree. Most Cnidaria have mouth's and most if not all do not require feeding or intervention on the part of the hobbiest except to provide proper water chemistry and appropriate light. MH is indeed recommended for this particular species but given the light intensity in this particular instance, it would not be the case.

Anemone's in particular feed over 85% of their nutritional needs by converting zoothanthellae in it's tissues to sugars. The rest will typically be made up from supplimental debris/proteins from the water column. In the case of a captive system, this will most adequately be derived from the general feeding of fish. More than that will usually result in a large and fast growing animal or a dead one due to it's inability to adapt.

I am by no means suggesting you should not defend your position but IME with many of these species, direct feeding is commonly one of the greater downfalls of captive care.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-17-2004, 07:40 PM   #47

Quote:
More than that will usually result in a large and fast growing animal or a dead one due to it's inability to adapt.
Thats is a good point, the more you feed the faster it will grow. I personally would feed it if it was mine.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:45 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

Steve, I sware, I stand in awe of your knowledge. You are like an aquarium encyclopedia!
Old 08-17-2004, 07:49 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Quote:
Originally Posted by revhtree
Steve, I sware, I stand in awe of your knowledge. You are like an aquarium encyclopedia!
I agree...I think he's probalby forgotten more about this hobby than I know about this hobby.

IMO, I would trust what Steve says about keeping anemones...he's one of the few that has been able to keep them alive and healty for several years.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:58 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

Steve's answers are not "just because" answer's. He has the knowledge to back up his descisions in this hobby. Sorry I did not mean to hijack this thread, but Steve deserves his props!

Kudos to you Steve, and I think he deserves more from other folk around here.

PS. To join the Steve S. fan club, simply send Steve 100 kudos, and add,
"offical member of the Steve S. fan club" to your signature.

Tags
anemone, anemones

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com