New Anenome Having Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beliefofreef

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I acquired a bubble tip anenome 10 days ago. It appeared to have acclimated well over the first 7 days. However, yesterday, it lost its color (went from brown to white), and for a time, it shriveled up and looked dead. I tested the water and all levels are good. This morning, it looks a bit better (its no longer shriveled up), but it is still lacking most of its color. I should mention that my maroon clownfish immediately took a home in the anenome when it first arrived. I don't know if she has been too rough with it, but she is not oversized for the size of the anemone. Does anyone have any ideas as to what has happened and/or what I might do, if anything? Thanks.

Anemones like the BTA do require occassional feeding. You may want to get a fresh shrimp from the market and try giving a small chunk to it...Also, they require a great deal of light...Is it in a highly lit area? The color comes from the symbiotic algae tht lives in them called zooanthellae. This algae requires light to photosyntesize... Many Anemones and Corals live stricktly off of this algae and do not require being fed, however, just as they are in the wild, they may have a suspect fish or shrimp happen along and get caught in their tentacles. This would be their occasional feeding... :D HTH

Back
Top Bottom