New Aqua One Reef Set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

begginersluck

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have been looking forward to upgrading to this 400 litre aquarium and a few ideas. The old tank as you can see in the picture is only around 120 litres and the filtration which is built into the back is very limited and to be honest almost useless. I thought about removing the rear ‘sump’ and installing one underneath but then the Aqua One 400 came up for sale and I went for it!

So I am thinking about the Triton method. I am going to be stocking a few fish, mainly pls and eventually some sps.

From my understanding I need a large refugium for the Trition method to work and my concern is the refugium section of my sump will be too small? Any thoughts and advice is welcome on this.

Apart from that I am also considering which lights to go for long term? I have a combination of full spectrum LEDs, T5’s and Aquabeams so will be using those to get started.

Any tips and advice on correctly setting this up for the Triton method is more than welcomed. IMG_1513017685.669244.jpgIMG_1513017710.605735.jpgIMG_1513017756.399268.jpg

Yes I was planning on using the middle section as a refugium but worry it’s too small for the tank size.

I will also be running a media reactor for phosphate removal, any preferences on brands etc?

Been looking at the EcoTech Radions, I want a sunset/sunrise automated system ideally wireless that would link to my iPhone

Ok so I’m thinking about flow and I’m interested to find out what people think about the Maxspect Gyre pumps against the EcoTech Vortech? I have had the Ecotech MP40’s in the past and though they were great however I didn’t give the Gyre much thought.

Anyone have experience with the two?

I am more drawn towards the Maxspect as it seems it would produce the right amount APR flow with just one in place baring in mind this is a 4 foot tank. In my experience with MP40’s I think I would need two? I might be wrong

In the grand scheme of things, I prefer having two smaller powerheads over one larger one to meet gallons per hour in the system to try to avoid deadzones...so if it was in my brain that'd be on the right track...though I've never run a gyre personally so I can't speak for their performance.

That makes sense.

When I had my MP 40’s in a 5 foot corner tank I ran two and had them at maximum 50% otherwise they caused a sand storm so I am wondering if two MP 10’s would be sufficient for this tank. They claim to be rated up to 190 litres so would two of these do the job?

I use to mp10 in a aqua reef 300 on half power with good flow all over

Back
Top Bottom