Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-01-2012, 12:06 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I buy my water from Gilligan for. 37 cents a gallon. I test it everytime and all is good on tds meter. I always add prime to it anyways though. I started off using tap water with horrible results. Nuisance algae and all. Tap water is a big no no in saltwater!

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

*culligan. Not giligan.LOL I bet they did have some good water on that island tho!

Old 10-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also I don't think a lot of people realize that shows like "Tanked" have experts doing the set up and the people that own the tanks can afford others to take care of their tanks for them. I think I have only seen a few tanks that the owner would have to take care of.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks very much Baron, your in depth responses went a long way! I saw this refugium tank 24"x6" and it has a protein skimmer modified onto it, also comes with light set and pump powerheads. For 500. Its called Pro Series Hang on back wet/dry filter pro60. Please advise if this is a good investment in the long run? Also comes with 7lbs of mud sand for plants
Old 10-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Regular

I used tap water with instantsea salt, gravity is 1.025 but no heater yet i live in LA so its pretty warm naturally
Old 10-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazwaz View Post
Thanks very much Baron, your in depth responses went a long way! I saw this refugium tank 24"x6" and it has a protein skimmer modified onto it, also comes with light set and pump powerheads. For 500. Its called Pro Series Hang on back wet/dry filter pro60. Please advise if this is a good investment in the long run? Also comes with 7lbs of mud sand for plants
I believe you would have to drill your tank for that refugium pump. I am not sure so I hope someone with more experience can answer that for you.

As far as I know if you got a canister filter you should be good with your filtering needs. Fluval 06 series is the best on the market right now, but other canister filters are good too. As long as you got one rated a little over your tank size you should be good to go.

This is the hang on the back Protein skimmer I am getting. I am getting the one that is 87 dollars.

Coralife Super Skimmer Needle Wheel Protein Skimmers at PETCO

Also I would recommend paying the 55 dollars or so to get the water from your LFS. Replace all your water with it, because it will also help with the cycle. With a 55 gallon tank doing a weekly water change of about 15 or so gallons shouldn't cost that much each time you do a water change. I know my LFS sales their water for about 89cents a gallon.

Tap water has a lot of things added to it. Fluoride is added to city water and that is bad for your fish and a lot of other minerals can be harmful for your fish.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by guppy fan View Post
i am having 55 gal aquarium and all my fishes are healthy. i'm trying to add female guppy but i quarantine one before i add.
when i buy guppy i make sure they are (seems to be) healthy. after 2 or 3 days of quarantining i always get white patch on body of female guppy. i tried many medication. i used salt with tetra anti bacterial medicine with heater 28c it does not wotk at all actually the disease progress.
i used chinese made dr. med anti parasite medicine( violet color) again no improvement.
any help appreciated.
my quarantine tank is 5 gal running filter without carbon (sponge only) and a heater.
why you posting this in here? Move it to fish health and advice!
Old 10-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Guppys in a reef tank???

Old 10-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yea I heard people will try and convert guppies over to salt if it works they use them for feeders

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com