New at this and green as algae!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chickers

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I started a 30 gallon salt water tank about 6 wks ago. I started with 50lbs of reef rock, 5 lbs of lr and one 20 watt Aurora 50/50 light. ( finances were a little tight) Let it go through the cycling and then diatoms appeared. Because we are 2 hrs away from the aquarium store, I had to wait a couple of weeks more before adding 5lbs more of lr and another 20 watt Aurora 50/50 as well as a 20 watt actinic light. I had the water tested at the store and they said it was good but to watch the nitrates. I also added 6 hermit crabs and 4 snails and they seem to be doing fine. I would like to eventually add some soft corals and a couple of clown fish. Do I have enough lighting for this? My tank is 12"w, 36"l, and 18"deep. I have a double fixture and a single one, and no room for any more. If this is not sufficient lighting, do you have any suggestions on how I can improve on what I have to work with. Maybe a different kind of bulb or something. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated as well.
Thanks, Cheri

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
The algea si most likely a product of the water you are using. It thrives in tanks that have PO4 in them. It is ussually introduced into the tank via the water. The best fix for this is to start using tested RO/DI water for all water changes and top-offs. RO/DI water should not contain PO4. Next time you are at the LFS pick up a PO4 test kit and see how things are.
With the lighting you described you have 2watts/gal of NO lighting. This is a bit low to support most any soft corals.

Back
Top Bottom