Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Your tang is beautiful, so maybe if you were thinking about moving the triggers you should have before you got the new little guy. But that is your choice just watch his growth and move him asap. Beautiful fish enjoy him

Old 01-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeYQM View Post
I "argue" to point out misconceptions and myth, which this hobby is full of. Ill take peer reviewed science over hobbyist experience any day. Remember when the experienced guys said LEDs wouldn't grow coral? Or when carbon dosing was bad? Experience leads to opinion; opinion should NEVER be offered as fact.

Do you have any scientific backing saying that tangs fair well in smaller tanks? It goes both ways. There just isn't enough science to show it either way, but I think the logic that more swim space isn't better for an open water-swimming fish just does not make any sense.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

To those who believe this forum has only mean people who call you names - go elsewhere.
Now, I've only skimmed since my last post (overnight it went from one late to five. Thanks mike) but I saw no one attack the OP or call names. The OP showed off a new fish and a few expressed concern over the situation. Once all information was presented, it seemed like the general concensus was "good on you! Way to plan ahead!"
As for Mike's "ZERO evidence" posts... Lets be honest here. There's no evidence that YOU like. Scientific studies of several species plus years of anecdotal evidence suggesting the same holds true for others is enough for most reasonable people to consider the possibility. You simply dismiss it outright and call all who would even think it "wrong" among other things.
Correct that the hobby is full of misconceptions.
Your LED example is a good one. For years, the only LED fixtures available were useless. They had led to many coral deaths. So people were reluctant to try the newer ones. Since then, people have been brave enough to try and results have been positive. Or bristle worms. I could (and have) written pages about these great little guys.
Comparing LED lights to tang tank sizes is ridiculous. The lights were due to past experiences being bad and people reluctant to try new things. Tangs... It's the opposite. For decades, they were kept in small tanks and they died quickly. It wasn't until people started keeping them in more appropriately sized tanks that we got to see how great they could be.
Your argument that you are simply trying to present complete information to the OP is equally silly. That's what we are all doing. The difference is this: we say "experience and some science leads us to believe that certain fish need large tanks to be healthy" whereas you counter with (obviously paraphrasing here) "nah, it'll be fine. They're idiots. Do whatever you want and the world will be sunshine and rainbows"
Lets all try to be civil. Wording really does matter. "That may not be the smartest idea" is a far cry from "you're stupid". Had this talk with my last girlfriend on an almost weekly basis.
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

Getting far off topic here, but I have no problem with people sharing their personal experiences or opinions as such. I have a problem with people sharing those as FACT.

I've said nothing other that point out that statements clearly labelled as fact are not and tried to bring an open minded perspective. If something isn't fully proven, then there are other equally possible explanations and that is what I've shared. I did not state fact, nor did I claim as such unless directly indicated.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #35
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

We are getting far off base. I was going to delete mosts of the posts here but I only did the ones that were name calling. We need to get back to helping the OP and his problem. We all have our opinions and experiences and need to be able to post it as long as it stays on topic with the OP. This is not a thread to air out your differences State your opinion and experience and move on. Do not attack anyone elses opinion or experience. Leave it to the OP to digest and pick his route. Please help the OP out.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushwood View Post
I think it's a great idea to start him in a small safe environment and introduce him to the big boys in the 125 when he is fat and healthy
I think that this post way back at the start is the way to go given the available options of a small tank and a more appropriate size tank (with Triggers).

I've never done Triggers, other than a Blue Throat (which are supposedly not as aggressive) and he was second to last, with all other fish his size or larger. I'd wonder what an appropriate size would be for adding the Tang down the road?
Old 01-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
We are getting far off base. I was going to delete mosts of the posts here but I only did the ones that were name calling. We need to get back to helping the OP and his problem. We all have our opinions and experiences and need to be able to post it as long as it stays on topic with the OP. This is not a thread to air out your differences State your opinion and experience and move on. Do not attack anyone elses opinion or experience. Leave it to the OP to digest and pick his route. Please help the OP out.
See IMO the OP isn't having a problem. He's showing us that he will be moving it and I don't believe that it's a problem.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I like ice cream with my cake.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbratz View Post
I like ice cream with my cake.
Same it's very good that way
Old 01-05-2013, 09:56 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Indeed. I don't think there's really much of a problem for the OP at all anymore. In fact, I don't know that there was one to begin with. Lol

MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby, nano, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com