New Baby Tang for my Nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flow863

Aquarium Advice Freak
My yellow tang just arrived
it is a baby about 1 1/2 inches
It will be in my 27 gallon for a while till it grows a bit then will be transferred to my 125
Acclimating as i type

ForumRunner_20130103_131842.jpg

ForumRunner_20130103_131848.jpg

2 reasons
1. I want one so bad in my nano >_<
2. Because my triggers may eat him since he is like the size of their face 0_o

I think it's a great idea to start him in a small safe environment and introduce him to the big boys in the 125 when he is fat and healthy

Keep in mind that most fish have the majority of their growth in the first few years of life. So any stunting will occur earlier rather than later. Many people buy baby fish figuring when it gets too big for this tank, they'll move it. What the fail to realize is that it's growth is already dangerously stunted by the time it's "too big" for that tank.
But since you already have the eventual larger tank, I think this could work out great. Just be sure to move him sooner rather than later. Like, as soon as he can defend against the triggers.

I just wrote like a page and my app crashed -___-

But i was saying that it was my plan to do exactly that and let him get fat and healthy and grow a little before puttin him in the 125
Even though i may remove the triggers anyways
i like them but it sucks not being able to keep inverts unless i want them to get tore up by the triggers
I just got home and the tang is looking so badass in my nano
Perfectly proportioned to my tank
Wish their were Mini tangs that i could keep permenently in my nano :|

ForumRunner_20130103_222024.jpg

When tangs become easy to breed in captivity, I have no doubt that miniaturization will be among the first goals of breeders. Lol
But fish behavior is important too. There are fish the same size as a tang that do fine in smaller tanks.
But it's a great excuse to get a bigger tank for now.......

not matter what size he is I'm afraid your Triggers are going to tear him up anyways. Best case will be a very stressed out Tang with Ich.

Well i already have one good sized yellow tang in my 125 and he does fine with the triggers
But as i said earlier triggers are most likely coming out
Plans are also to get a third yellow tang so i can have three since they need to be kept in groups of three

it states CAN be kept in groups of 3 or more, no need to have 3 in a 125.They do well in a mix Tang group.

Keep in mind that most fish have the majority of their growth in the first few years of life. So any stunting will occur earlier rather than later. Many people buy baby fish figuring when it gets too big for this tank, they'll move it. What the fail to realize is that it's growth is already dangerously stunted by the time it's "too big" for that tank.
But since you already have the eventual larger tank, I think this could work out great. Just be sure to move him sooner rather than later. Like, as soon as he can defend against the triggers.

There is absolute ZERO evidence, scientific or otherwise that this occurs in tangs. There is only some evidence that it MAY occur in a few freshwater species.

In my 125 i currently have a
niger trigger
picasso trigger
Yellow tang
and tomatoe clown
but as ive said earlier the triggers are moving out soon

Stunted growth is not a fact. Tang stress levels being elevated is not a fact. What is fact, was the study of cortisol levels (stress hormone) in captive v wild fish, showing captive fish have lower levels that their wild brethren.

You may have years of experience, but anecdotal evidence does not constitute fact.

Fine. I guess I won't believe my own eyes. Please place those tangs in as small a tank as you want. In fact I will sell them to you as you will be a repeat customer as you replace them constantly. I suggest maybe a shark as well. If you think tangs don't stress and that having them in small tanks makes no difference, then you are certainly capable of your own opinion. It just isn't shared by the vast majority of the rest of us. Google "tang stress" and tell all those people what you just said.

Back to the topic, there is probably no issue with a tiny tang in a nano as long as its moved long before it gets much bigger. It is about relative size and swimming room. He will appreciate some good hidey holes.

Last edited:
These misconceptions are believed by many due to the disinformation provided. Opinion is not fact. Fact is backed up by scientific evidence. The OP was being very proactive in growing out his tang in a small tank, and was met with "beware the stunted growth" which is absolute myth. There is no need to get defensive, there's nothing personal in my responses. I'm simply separating fact from fiction so the OP can choose their way forward with the best information available.

Back
Top Bottom