New black ice clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DWilliams

Aquarium Advice Freak
Picked up a black ice snowflake today. Couldn't resist when I saw him. Trying to decide what type of clown I want to pair with him.

image-3705627254.jpg

Do I have to pair him to a black perc to get black snowflakes? Or would 2 black ice clowns make black snowflakes?

DWilliams said:
Picked up a black ice snowflake today. Couldn't resist when I saw him. Trying to decide what type of clown I want to pair with him.

Amazing fish. I'm gonna go buy a black ocellaris tomorrow.

Do I have to pair him to a black perc to get black snowflakes? Or would 2 black ice clowns make black snowflakes?

Black Ice clowns are of the ocellaris species. Though ocellaris has been cross bred with percs, it's not immediate and not guaranteed.

Black snowflakes are extremely hard to breed at the moment. ORA has done it by breeding black ocellaris against each other and selectively choosing generations that looks more and more like snowflakes.

AquaRick said:
Black Ice clowns are of the ocellaris species. Though ocellaris has been cross bred with percs, it's not immediate and not guaranteed.

Black snowflakes are extremely hard to breed at the moment. ORA has done it by breeding black ocellaris against each other and selectively choosing generations that looks more and more like snowflakes.

So would my best bet be breeding him to another black ice or a black occ?

Whoops, missed your question. If you're going for black snowflakes, then I would think a black ice would be your best choice.

AquaRick said:
Whoops, missed your question. If you're going for black snowflakes, then I would think a black ice would be your best choice.

Ok that's what I was thinking. I saw a pair on live aquaria for $449.99 black snowflakes. So expensive.

Yeah. Just to make sure you noticed, I had to make an edit to my post. Two black ice have a better chance of producing black snowflakes. Talked to a buddy of mine at ORA. They were originally going for black snowflakes when they "accidentally" made the Black Ice Strain. Personally i like the black ice more than the black snows, but to each his own.

AquaRick said:
Yeah. Just to make sure you noticed, I had to make an edit to my post. Two black ice have a better chance of producing black snowflakes. Talked to a buddy of mine at ORA. They were originally going for black snowflakes when they "accidentally" made the Black Ice Strain. Personally i like the black ice more than the black snows, but to each his own.

They are some cool looking fish, thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom