New brittle stars legs fell off!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshsmit56001

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got a brittle star about a week ago and he has stayed in the same spot the whole time. When I finally moved him all but one of his legs were gone and about 4 bumblbee snails were surrounding him. One of the legs was already when I received him in the bag. What should I do about this? Will they grow back, is he a goner? I don't think I have anything that would eat him. I have a blue devil damsel, a lawnmower blennie, a serpent star, misc snails and crabs, emerald crabs, coral banded shrimp, peppermint shrimp, and a lettuce nudibranch.

TIA,
Josh

How did you acclimate the star? It sounds like acclimation issues from both you and the vendor. If so, there is little you can do and it will most likely die. All mobile inverts are very sensitive to changes in salinity, ph and temp, drip acclimations of 4-6 hours are recommended for mobile inverts.

I have to agree with ReefRunner69 on the Slooooooow drip acclimation of mobile inverts, usually 4-6 hours, the longer the better. Stars will lose their legs and die if they are shocked by being moved from one level of salinity to another.

IME, starfish (linckias particularly) are the most sensitive and shrimp follow right behind. Of course the amount needed to acclimate is dependant on the conditions in the bag compared to that of your tank, if salinity, ph and temp of the bag match that of your tank, the acclimation would be much shorter, but if you don't measure the conditions in the bag...I would go with a 4-6 hour acclimation to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom