Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Bleached anemones are common in this hobby and not ready for death. With some TLC they can live long lives. Please don't toss things without trying to save them. It's bad enough we are raping the oceans for these things. Let's try to limit the destruction.
"nuking" your tank is not necessarily what would happen. It's basically a lot of nutrients at once hitting the tank, if the anemone dies. They do not carry large amounts of toxins in their bodies like Sea Apples do.
It would be the equivalent of dumping a lot of food in the tank. Nothing you can't survive.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:28 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLH-l3ioCub3 View Post

You didn't get that bleached out nem from fintastic did you? Agreed, fintastic rocks! Carl always hooks it up and he really knows his stuff.
He has let me return stuff and always gives good info. Gotta love their prices too! And he's always getting cool stuff in. I can't believe aquatic and exotic stay in business. Complete crap store. I went in there yesterday and asked the guy if he had any media and he didn't know what I was talking about... I just walked out. The other day I went in there to get a couple pieces of LR Cuz fintastic was out and I had to finish my rock scape and they wanted to charge me $25 extra for a rock because it had a tiny spot of pulsing Xenia on it. I'm talking like 2 measly heads! I would have just cut them off anyway! It's enough work keeping GSP at bay let alone contending with Xenia.. No thanks.
Well, good luck with your nem! He'll be fine.
Sure is a small world....
Fintastic fan also!!!!!!

Old 03-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I have never covered my power heads so I couldn't tell you.
Lol, cam so relate , do not try this at home. I have 5 nems and the have never moved, goes to show, with the right conditions, they are easy to care for
Old 03-06-2013, 10:44 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Bleached anemones are common in this hobby and not ready for death. With some TLC they can live long lives. Please don't toss things without trying to save them. It's bad enough we are raping the oceans for these things. Let's try to limit the destruction.
"nuking" your tank is not necessarily what would happen. It's basically a lot of nutrients at once hitting the tank, if the anemone dies. They do not carry large amounts of toxins in their bodies like Sea Apples do.
It would be the equivalent of dumping a lot of food in the tank. Nothing you can't survive.
It's common in the industry because too many people get them without having the proper requirements for them to grow and thrive. I'm sure more dont make it then those that do. And considering that in the wild they may live forever, it is so sad
Old 03-06-2013, 10:50 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

I totally agree with you X. I'm finding it hard to keep nems so far with the exception of my latest. Ill admit I started off with a sea bay as my first one about 8 months ago, back when my tank wasn't mature enough yet and I had T5s he lasted a cruel 3 months. This second one I got about maybe two months ago was a BTA. like I stated earlier it was very bleached and was randomly closing all times of the day. I do appreciate nature as I live in Florida and am kind of a water rat. So no excuse for tossing it other than feeling like it was going to get sucked into a power head at night and get shredded up all over the tank. But this one I got about two weeks ago seems very healthy and doesn't seem stressed out. My lights are good my tank is much more matured and my parameters are near perfect. I honestly didn't want another but my clown seemed bewildered after having the others
Old 03-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLH-l3ioCub3 View Post
Slowly but surely it came out of hiding. I'm so relieved this didn't turn into a fiasco!
Here it is all big and beautiful! I've never seen a green BTA like this one. Truly unique. What do you guys think?
Wow, that is amazing! You got that for $40.00? I live in the middle of the desert and know something like that would be $$$, that's gotta be one of your crown Jewels!

Building a reef is like going back in time and being 5 years old at Christmas!
Pisces3473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces3473 View Post

Wow, that is amazing! You got that for $40.00? I live in the middle of the desert and know something like that would be $$$, that's gotta be one of your crown Jewels!
Thanks!
Yep $40. When I picked it up it looked quite a bit smaller. It was much more deflated under the lights at the LFS which are the same as mine. $40 didn't seem like a great deal until it acclimated to my lights and really opened up. Seems like a great deal now that's its about the size of a soccer ball rather than the original soft ball size!
And yea, it definitely is the new pinnacle of the tank! Really adds some great color and life to the reef.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

Got home from running errands and my mated pair of perculas were hosting the nem!
Lots and lots of twitching going on between the two. Female wont let the male in it yet.
Anemone was also pooping and the female is cleaning it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-768894314.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	158172  
Old 03-09-2013, 06:11 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here's another perfect pic of the two.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1343584590.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	158173  
Old 03-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Looks awesome! Good for you.

Tags
bta, hiding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com