Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

New BTA Hiding

I bought a green BTA yesterday that from what I was told is a rose BTA that is actually green. They say it looks and acts just like a rose and clones the way a rose does. For whatever that's worth. I don't know the differences. I thought a green was a green and a rose was a rose only because of color.. Anyway, after adding it to the tank, it moved into the rock work, almost completely hidden. My lights are 2 120W led's. made by a local company called TFT Lighting.
These lights should be more than enough for any coral or invert. Not sure why it's hiding though...
Any ideas? Should I be worried? One particular concern is that it got back in there and can't get out.. The crevasses in the rocks around it are quite a bit smaller than it is.
Here's a pic...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2747400566.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	156687   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-637576545.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	156688  

Old 03-04-2013, 05:27 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just leave it alone, Nems can deflate, so if he wants to come out he will. It will seek out its own best place in your tank, if it isnt happy it will move. Just keep PH covered untill he settles in for a few months

Old 03-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hope you didn't pay rose BTA price for that green BTA! But if he doesn't move and he's not getting light, try turning the rock upside down so he's on top.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

So it's day 3 now and the nem is still moving around back inside the rock work... Weird.
Is it possible that the lights are too intense for it? Never heard of it for nems but I know my corals have not been happy with them!
Old 03-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteFaye View Post
Hope you didn't pay rose BTA price for that green BTA! But if he doesn't move and he's not getting light, try turning the rock upside down so he's on top.
No I only paid $40 rather than probably 80-100.
They said its more like a rose than a green though. I don't know the difference so.. Maybe I need to just do some research. I don't care which it is though. I just wanted something for my clowns so they aren't staring out the glass and pacing all day and begging for food. They seem bored without their nem!
The rock it's under now is a base rock. Not sure if I wanna start dismantling rock work for him and
besides that I'm worried it will get injured in the process. If it moves to a more accessible location ill try it but I placed it out in the open light to begin with where its foot could be hidden and there was just a light flow... So he moves under a rock...I'm baffled!
Old 03-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
They are pulling your leg. You are right that a rose and a green are different because of their color. It needs to acclimate to that light you have. You'll have to give it time to do so, and you certainly can't place it wherever you like. It's going to go where it wants. Sometimes strong lighting can be such a shock to them that they completely shield themselves from it. My RBTA went in the shade and started bleaching out. I had to direct light to it until it recovered. They can be strange creatures that way.
I used a PAR 38 lamp.....

It regained color then came out of the shaded area on it's own.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
They are pulling your leg. You are right that a rose and a green are different because of their color. It needs to acclimate to that light you have. You'll have to give it time to do so, and you certainly can't place it wherever you like. It's going to go where it wants. Sometimes strong lighting can be such a shock to them that they completely shield themselves from it. My RBTA went in the shade and started bleaching out. I had to direct light to it until it recovered. They can be strange creatures that way.
I used a PAR 38 lamp.....

It regained color then came out of the shaded area on it's own.
Good to know, that's what I figured it was doing.
I hope it acclimates quicker so it doesn't bleach out like yours. I don't know what I'd do to direct a lamp at it. It's in behind the rock work in the back so there's no way the light could reach it. It gets a little tank lighting as part of it is exposed so obviously it wants "some" light just not all of it...
I'm wishing I had dimmable fixtures now. Is there some kind of plug in dimmable adapter that I could plug my lights into so I could dim them kind of like the way a dimmer works for lights in your house?
Old 03-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

No. You could do the window screen method. Go buy a roll of window screen. Put 2 or 3 layers of it over your tank between the lights and the water, then remove one every week or so.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
No. You could do the window screen method. Go buy a roll of window screen. Put 2 or 3 layers of it over your tank between the lights and the water, then remove one every week or so.
Awesome. Great idea.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I mean, it's a little early to worry, but you can always do that if need be. It may just come out on it's own.

Tags
bta, hiding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com