New BTA Hiding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JLH-l3ioCub3

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a green BTA yesterday that from what I was told is a rose BTA that is actually green. They say it looks and acts just like a rose and clones the way a rose does. For whatever that's worth. I don't know the differences. I thought a green was a green and a rose was a rose only because of color.. Anyway, after adding it to the tank, it moved into the rock work, almost completely hidden. My lights are 2 120W led's. made by a local company called TFT Lighting.
These lights should be more than enough for any coral or invert. Not sure why it's hiding though...
Any ideas? Should I be worried? One particular concern is that it got back in there and can't get out.. The crevasses in the rocks around it are quite a bit smaller than it is.
Here's a pic...

Attachments

• image-2747400566.jpg
    image-2747400566.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 154
  • image-637576545.jpg
    image-637576545.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 173
Just leave it alone, Nems can deflate, so if he wants to come out he will. It will seek out its own best place in your tank, if it isnt happy it will move. Just keep PH covered untill he settles in for a few months

Hope you didn't pay rose BTA price for that green BTA! But if he doesn't move and he's not getting light, try turning the rock upside down so he's on top.

So it's day 3 now and the nem is still moving around back inside the rock work... Weird.
Is it possible that the lights are too intense for it? Never heard of it for nems but I know my corals have not been happy with them!

Hope you didn't pay rose BTA price for that green BTA! But if he doesn't move and he's not getting light, try turning the rock upside down so he's on top.

No I only paid $40 rather than probably 80-100.
They said its more like a rose than a green though. I don't know the difference so.. Maybe I need to just do some research. I don't care which it is though. I just wanted something for my clowns so they aren't staring out the glass and pacing all day and begging for food. They seem bored without their nem!
The rock it's under now is a base rock. Not sure if I wanna start dismantling rock work for him and
besides that I'm worried it will get injured in the process. If it moves to a more accessible location ill try it but I placed it out in the open light to begin with where its foot could be hidden and there was just a light flow... So he moves under a rock...I'm baffled!

They are pulling your leg. You are right that a rose and a green are different because of their color. It needs to acclimate to that light you have. You'll have to give it time to do so, and you certainly can't place it wherever you like. It's going to go where it wants. Sometimes strong lighting can be such a shock to them that they completely shield themselves from it. My RBTA went in the shade and started bleaching out. I had to direct light to it until it recovered. They can be strange creatures that way.
I used a PAR 38 lamp.....
img_2368556_0_927880e257da840f1b366cc78bceabce.jpg

It regained color then came out of the shaded area on it's own.

They are pulling your leg. You are right that a rose and a green are different because of their color. It needs to acclimate to that light you have. You'll have to give it time to do so, and you certainly can't place it wherever you like. It's going to go where it wants. Sometimes strong lighting can be such a shock to them that they completely shield themselves from it. My RBTA went in the shade and started bleaching out. I had to direct light to it until it recovered. They can be strange creatures that way.
I used a PAR 38 lamp.....

It regained color then came out of the shaded area on it's own.

Good to know, that's what I figured it was doing.
I hope it acclimates quicker so it doesn't bleach out like yours. I don't know what I'd do to direct a lamp at it. It's in behind the rock work in the back so there's no way the light could reach it. It gets a little tank lighting as part of it is exposed so obviously it wants "some" light just not all of it...
I'm wishing I had dimmable fixtures now. Is there some kind of plug in dimmable adapter that I could plug my lights into so I could dim them kind of like the way a dimmer works for lights in your house?

No. You could do the window screen method. Go buy a roll of window screen. Put 2 or 3 layers of it over your tank between the lights and the water, then remove one every week or so.

No. You could do the window screen method. Go buy a roll of window screen. Put 2 or 3 layers of it over your tank between the lights and the water, then remove one every week or so.

Awesome. Great idea.

I mean, it's a little early to worry, but you can always do that if need be. It may just come out on it's own.

Yea it's a little early yet. I'll give it a couple more days and see what it does. I don't think I'll have to worry about it moving up the glass to the top and get caught in a PH but should I cover them anyway? If so, what's the easiest way to do that?

Slowly but surely it came out of hiding. I'm so relieved this didn't turn into a fiasco!
Here it is all big and beautiful! I've never seen a green BTA like this one. Truly unique. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• image-2110963323.jpg
    image-2110963323.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 115
  • image-3540830509.jpg
    image-3540830509.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 121
  • image-2403316829.jpg
    image-2403316829.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 132
  • image-2069252644.jpg
    image-2069252644.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 129
I tried responding to this post the other day but I don't think it stuck. I also have the TFT lighting and I bought some Home Depot wall dimmers and had a buddy hook them up to the blues and whites. It took him like 20 mins and now they are dim-able. I know those lights are pretty powerful at full throttle. And as for the BTA I just picked one up last week too and put him in a spot that I thought he would like, WRONG. After a week of chilling in one spot in my rock work he ended up on a power head lastnight, thankfully no damage to him but now he is behind the rocks. AWESOME!!!!

I tried responding to this post the other day but I don't think it stuck. I also have the TFT lighting and I bought some Home Depot wall dimmers and had a buddy hook them up to the blues and whites. It took him like 20 mins and now they are dim-able. I know those lights are pretty powerful at full throttle. And as for the BTA I just picked one up last week too and put him in a spot that I thought he would like, WRONG. After a week of chilling in one spot in my rock work he ended up on a power head lastnight, thankfully no damage to him but now he is behind the rocks. AWESOME!!!!

Sorry about your BTA. You really lucked out that it didn't get chopped to bits on in your PH! It has taken 4 days for mine to finally acclimate to the light. My LFS uses these same lights on their tanks and the Nem I bought was under them for a couple days before I picked him up so I think it helped with the acclimation process. And yea I've had these lights on for about 3 weeks and I'm finding that they are really powerful! At least yours are dimmable though. I assume you tried dimming them for your BTA and he's still hiding? I'm sure it will come out soon.
Btw where are you located in FL? I'd really like to know how your buddy hooked up the dimmers!

Fintastic jensen

Lol that's awesome! I live in Stuart and go to fintastic myself... Did you just pick that BTA up last week? Wonder if its the same as mine. Carl got several of them last week.

Well I ended up getting a severely bleached one about 2 months ago and he didn't seem to be doing to well so I ousted it before it nuked my tank. I bought this one about 3 weeks ago now And it's in much better shape. I just hope he finds his happy place. Fintastic kicks ***

Well I ended up getting a severely bleached one about 2 months ago and he didn't seem to be doing to well so I ousted it before it nuked my tank. I bought this one about 3 weeks ago now And it's in much better shape. I just hope he finds his happy place. Fintastic kicks ***

You didn't get that bleached out nem from fintastic did you? Agreed, fintastic rocks! Carl always hooks it up and he really knows his stuff.
He has let me return stuff and always gives good info. Gotta love their prices too! And he's always getting cool stuff in. I can't believe aquatic and exotic stay in business. Complete crap store. I went in there yesterday and asked the guy if he had any media and he didn't know what I was talking about... I just walked out. The other day I went in there to get a couple pieces of LR Cuz fintastic was out and I had to finish my rock scape and they wanted to charge me $25 extra for a rock because it had a tiny spot of pulsing Xenia on it. I'm talking like 2 measly heads! I would have just cut them off anyway! It's enough work keeping GSP at bay let alone contending with Xenia.. No thanks.
Well, good luck with your nem! He'll be fine.
Sure is a small world....

Back
Top Bottom