New build 150g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you doing anything to help it? Is it ich? Hippos are very prone to ich, mine also got it. They are almost as bad as powders.

Yea I have turned the heater up and doing regular water changes. I don't believe in adding chemicals for ich. He is getting better, still swimming round all day and eating well. All other fish are fine.

Ok update on the regal tang!

He had spots for 2 weeks they disappeared after that but only for a few day's, then they were back. I have put a cleaner wrasse in and he is doing a great job. His spots do seem to come back after a few days then go again. All other fish in the tank including the yellow tang are fine and have not had one spot between them.

I have come to the conclusion that it is not white spot/ich but they are in fact stress spots.

What are people's views on this as I can't find any info via the web?

Thanks guys.

Well it could still be ich, it falls off and comes back. Sometimes it just takes a few months to completely go. He was in a pretty bad situation and for a while. That's not gonna go away over night and it may take a few months to see full recovery. Are you soaking his food in marine Maxx?

Well it could still be ich, it falls off and comes back. Sometimes it just takes a few months to completely go. He was in a pretty bad situation and for a while. That's not gonna go away over night and it may take a few months to see full recovery. Are you soaking his food in marine Maxx?

No not soaking his food in anything, I'm giving him brine shrimp with garlic and a few other foods with garlic in but that's about it.
He seems fine and like I say no other fish has even a slight spot that you could say was white spot. I would have thought that if it was ich then the yellow tang would have picked it up for sure.

I will keep an eye on him see how he gets on.

Ok so I'm thinking about adding a few more fish to the system not just yet because of the regal. I'm just putting a list together.

So far I have in my 150g

2 clarki clowns
1 pink spot goby + pistol shrimp
1 regal tang
1 yellow tang

I'm thinking about a flame angel, a copperband, or a majestic angel. I know they are classed as non reef safe but you do see people do it.
Also I know that the regal would have to go in time as the majestic would be to much.

Or what other options are there. I like unusual fish or fish that you don't see every day.

A friend of mine that owns a marine only store had a twin spot butterfly in stock but he died. He was beautiful and I had my name on it, unfortunately he didn't make it.

Any suggestions guys?

The flame angels are more likely to pick at sps coral than the other reef safe dwarf angels. I have a coral beauty in mine so far without issue, but I have been considering removal just because they grow into nipping sometimes. Just less likely than flames.

The flame angels are more likely to pick at sps coral than the other reef safe dwarf angels. I have a coral beauty in mine so far without issue, but I have been considering removal just because they grow into nipping sometimes. Just less likely than flames.

Now everything I have read says the flame angel is the most reef safe out of all the dwarfs. A friend of mine had a coral beauty and he was fine. I just like the red of the flame angel.

Just a quick update!

I have spent the day re scaping my live rock, took it all out and started again. There was way to much in there And I haven't been happy with it since I set the tank up. So I thinned it out re arranged all the rock so that it is more open and now I'm really really pleased with it. I will upload a photo tomorrow once the tank has settled down and cleared.

Can't remember if I said but I brought a cooperband butterfly about 4 weeks ago now. For the first day he got beat up by the yellow tang but that soon stopped. He didn't eat for 1 week but gradually he started picking at the frozen food. Now he is the first one to the top and stuffs as much down his beak as he can fit in lol. I think next fish will be a potters angel and then maybe a leopard wrasse. But I want some more corals first.

I swapped an elegance coral today for the live rock that I took out and didn't want. I did a deal with my mate who owns his own marine fish shop.

Can't remember if I said but I brought a cooperband butterfly about 4 weeks ago now. For the first day he got beat up by the yellow tang but that soon stopped. He didn't eat for 1 week but gradually he started picking at the frozen food. Now he is the first one to the top and stuffs as much down his beak as he can fit in lol. I think next fish will be a potters angel and then maybe a leopard wrasse. But I want some more corals first.

I swapped an elegance coral today for the live rock that I took out and didn't want. I did a deal with my mate who owns his own marine fish shop.

Definitely looking forward to seeing the new 'scape. That's awesome that you have a friend with a marine fish shop. Would love to see the Butterfly too.

I will upload some pics tomorrow. Yea it's cool that my friend has a shop, not only that but I work for a tropical/marine fish wholesaler so also get good deals through work lol. As far as fish keeping goes it don't cost anywhere near what it should do. It's all good. ;-)

Ok so here are a few pics of my 150g with before and after the re scape. Let me know what you think and please be honest. ;-)

Before!

image-1598045979.jpg

image-1976054670.jpg

After!

image-742725149.jpg

image-80460940.jpg

I'm really pleased with the way it looks. There is more swimming space for the fish and it opens the tank up a bit more. Hope you like it. ;-)

Also a few shots of the fish.

image-1184318145.jpg

image-2581382095.jpg

image-1133339951.jpg

image-3535525123.jpg

There is an algae Blenny and a pink spot goby in there too but they are a bit camera shy lol.

Thanks guys, I love it too and yea the fish all seem to like it.

I managed to get a pic of my algae Blenny, he's a fat little git lol.

image-2874349782.jpg

Ok so I am trying to decide on a fairly large reef safe fish to put into the 150g it will be the last fish I add. As you know I have a regal tang, yellow tang, copperband butterfly, algae Blenny and a pink spot goby. The clowns are going. Can anyone suggest anything suitable please?

Ok so I am trying to decide on a fairly large reef safe fish to put into the 150g it will be the last fish I add. As you know I have a regal tang, yellow tang, copperband butterfly, algae Blenny and a pink spot goby. The clowns are going. Can anyone suggest anything suitable please?

I have a Mystery Wrasse that just adds a whole other dimension to he tank and he doesn't bother anything.

I love my mystery wrasse too! He is personable and will sometimes eat shrimp or krill out of my hand. Plus that much color dodging in pans out of your rock is a cool plus. He is one of the favorites for people who look onto in and even has a nick name of mini salmon and pretty pink salmon for my nieces.
Another cool option I also love is a pink spotted or any color watchman goby. They are chill and will stay in a general area if that what you are looking for. Also he helps out my cuc by going out and about and picking up missed pieces.

Back
Top Bottom