New Bulbs, lighting comparison pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
pics of the tank before and after bulb replacement. New bulbs are coralvue's 20k, old bulbs were aqualine bushke 10k.
250 watt HQI 20k bulbs are a real challenge to find. I got mine
from one of our sponsors here at AA, CaptiveRaisedCorals.com

I really like the looks of the bulbs so far and seeing as my frags
will be going out to a setup with 20k's lighting it, I felt the mother colonies should be under the same lighting.

dustybrannum said:
So really the 20k bulbs add a more blue part of the spectrum, right?
Yes, the higher the kelvin rating the more blue is in the specitrum. This is kind of confusing because true actinic bulbs have no kelvin rating.

i think somewhere i read actinics are like 7600k but that makes no sense to me ??

possum said:
i think somewhere i read actinics are like 7600k but that makes no sense to me ??
If they are true actinic 03, then they will have no k rating. Only the ones that say actinic blue bulbs will have a k rating and is a sign they are not a true 420-450 nm bulb.

Cheers
Steve

HELP!!!!! Can someone PLEASE write an article on lighting. I keep reading and reading but none of it makes since because I dont know what everything means and why you would use it,....

Maybe I am taking this thread a little off topic here, and I apologize if I am.

I am just getting into SW and lighting comparisons and I find this site pretty helpful.
http://metricksystem.com/chris/250wcolour/
It has a picture of a tank and by clicking buttons, you can change half of the image to another bulb with a different Kelvin rating. So, you can get a side by side comparison.

It shows the Brand, Kelvin Rating and values for Par, WATT, MaxWATT, AMP, and MaxAMP.

I am sure that the color is off slightly due to the digital photography but it seems to give you a hint as to what the different bulbs seem to look like.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom