New Cleaners -- good and bad news

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EBR

Aquarium Advice Activist
Thanks again to everyone that chimed in on my earlier post. I wound up acclimating the little guys (by happenstance) as Billy Z described here:http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=42617

The Good news: These were the first hermits I've gotten, and by the time I had dumped them in, went to the kitchen to throw away the bag, and returned, one had already moved into a new shell (one mixed in with the cc). Very fun!

Bad news: LITTERALLY, as I was dumping the snails in -- and I mean, I hadn't even gotten the last one out of the bag -- that little F-ing mantis came along and dragged one under a rock, right before my eyes. This weekend, I'm going after the bugger with a vengence. I've already gotten rid of one a few months ago that was quite aggresive and found the bait in the trap too tempting. THIS one, though, has been very "quiet" -- little or no tapping, and I rarely see him. Well, until there is fresh meat to be had, I suppose.

Unfortunately, going after him means tearing apart all of the rocks (100# in 55 gal tank) since my 'scaping is pretty tall. Oh well.

Any advice on going after him would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
Matt

Don't pull all the rock, just the one he resided in if you can get to it. If not, get a trap like the one below. Its how I got mine. You can borrow it if you wish.
Let me know.

Attachments

• trap_206.jpg
    trap_206.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 127
Back
Top Bottom