New clown ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joneskirby

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just added my first fish to my 90 gal w live rock live sand skimmer 2 filters and a uv light. Got a pair of real clowns on Monday. They looked great swam great. Tues looking great eating great from day one. They looked like they loved swimming towards powerhead playing around. Weds morning covered with ich. Weds eve even worse. Weds night dead. What the ****. No ich on them then bam covered. It's a new tank but water has been cycled and is perfect. Now what?

Most stores treat for ich even when it isn't present in their tanks so if any of the water from the store got in your tank it is possible there was ich transfered with that. You said you cycled your water, did you use water from an established tank or did you actually cycle your tank? The stress of being caught and the net doing damage to the slime coat is enough for ich to attack the fish. When I add a new fish I always get a bottle of stability because it seems to help with the slime coat damage from the nets. Most of my fish are transfered using a cup or bowl from the qt to the dt.

Treating ich in sw is very different than in fw.

Back
Top Bottom