new clown introduction??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedLeggedHermit

Aquarium Advice Freak
what is the best way to introduce a new saddleback clown. i have one already but want a pair. so is it better to get a smaller one or a larger one and how do i go about introducing it? just want to make sure before i go spend money and have it die on me.

how big is your tank? Usually you should get a slightly larger one so it won't get kill when you introduce it into a tank that already got clown fish. However, I only suggest keep only 1 pair of clown per tank unless your tank is large enough like 120 gallon+

oyf709 said:
how big is your tank? Usually you should get a slightly larger one so it won't get kill when you introduce it into a tank that already got clown fish. However, I only suggest keep only 1 pair of clown per tank unless your tank is large enough like 120 gallon+

I disagree. When adding a 2nd clown, it should be smaller (the smaller the better) than the on already in the tank. And even if a tank is 120+ you can still have aggression issues if there are more than 2.

How big is your current clown? How long has it been alone? clowns turn to female if they're alone for a while. And there can only be one female, but they cant change back after they're female. If its not still small or its been alone for a little while, it's probably already a female. You would need to get a much smaller clown to have the best chance that the new one isn't female. If you get a bigger one or one that's been alone a while, then you risk having 2 females and they'll likely fight to the death.

Get a smaller one. Odds are the clown in your current tank is a female as it is a single clown. Adding a smaller clown (juvenile or male) you'd probably have an easier time with the situation.

its a 29 gallon reef. just eye balling it but id say my clown is right around 2inchs. i only want one pair. shes been a lone for a while. so your probably right about her turning female already. ill go with a small one.

Go with a smaller one make a few caves were it can hide but the 1st one cant get into as it will attack the new guy for awhile. Add the new fish after lights out and if you can take the 1st fish out of the tank for a few days it will give the noob time to find hiding places

Go with a smaller one make a few caves were it can hide but the 1st one cant get into as it will attack the new guy for awhile. Add the new fish after lights out and if you can take the 1st fish out of the tank for a few days it will give the noob time to find hiding places

On the subject of new clowns i recently got a platinum clown anyone know if it will pair with a snowflake clown?

Back
Top Bottom