New clown sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hinds04

Aquarium Advice Addict
One of my new clowns is acting weird. I have had it about two weeks. I rarely see it eat (maybe 1 bite a couple of times). The clear area at the end of his fins looks like it is shredding a little bit. It doesn’t venture around the tank much and looks to be breathing heavily. Any ideas? I have a qt with some sand and a couple pieces of LR that should be good to go tomorrow. Anyone?

First check your levels. Salinity might be high or a spike in something. If everything is ok I would check into fin rot. Did u acclimate him correctly? Are there any other fish that are picking on him causing him to not eat? How long has the dt been running?

Put him in the QT if params are good. Feed him varied foods and keep water quality high, as that will help him heal. Also, could be something in the tank hurting him. Sixlines and canary blennys can be quite hard on a shy clownfish.

Water parameters are fine, all other fish and coral are doing fine, I have seen no aggression from any of the fish or anything else in my tank. I have looked into fin rot but this is not as severe and has no inflamtion or discoloration. This is the bigger of the two clowns... could the behavior have something to do with sexing? I will keep an eye on it hopefully all will go well.

well, the clown is in his own 10 gallon w/ some live rock, sand, heater, PH, and HOB filter. What do you guys recommend I do?

I would look into some common diseases. It could be an internal infection or something else. I still think it could be fin rot in the early stages. I would dose some meds to the tank. Garlic is good.

Should I remove the live rock before I do any dosing? I will want to put it back in my display when I'm finished. What will garlic do and what kind do I get?

If you have lr in your qt tank best not to put it back in. Some meds have copper in them and that is poison to corals. The lr will leach it out forever. I think the med is called extreme garlic or something like that. It helps boost immunity in the fish. If u look on the sick fish threads you should find some good med

Ill give it a shot, I also am reducing the salinity as well, slowly.

Back
Top Bottom