New Concept!! EXternal overflows that work like INTERNAL!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrrrkva

Aquarium Advice Freak
What I mean is a ReefREady tank with the overflows on the OUTSIDE of the tank. How would this work?? Inter-american is putting them on and saying they are great. Do you guys forsee problems. It would sure free up ALOT of space INSIDE the tank!!! If I have a 2 inch drain on the bottom of these, they are drilling a 3 inch hole that will be like a "notch" LET me know before I order.

You should be able to do the same by simply having the back of the tank drilled, which I imagine is how they work.

Im wondering if they mean something like this.

A hole drilled in the back of the tank. A strainer or some kind of standpipe placed on the inside of the tank. That either left open or enclosed in an acrylic box that has overflow fingers on the top. The catch is that you dont have a big corner being taken up by the plumbing and the overflow. Instead all the plumbing is on the outside and the only area lost within the tank is that of the acrylic box.

No acrylic box inside tank, everything is Behind the tank, making for a perfect IN the wall tank. Only problem is that after further inspection the box behind the tank is only about 6 inches deep. Might not be too bad, but I LOVE my snail guards on my dursos!! Other thing, a 3 inch holel on a 240 or 300 gallon tank might empty40-50 gallons into my sump when the return pump turns off. I dont know if I have the Kahunas to be the first one to order them on my tank (at least in this area). Anyone know if these things gurgle, or clog? I bet fish would love to get caught in these overflows!! A strainer might be a great idea Aaron!!

How does the water travel from the tank to the outside overflow? I'm still willing to be the back of the tank has to be drilled.

The back is drilled in what sounds like a 3" semi circle. They say that will suit for a 2" drain.

I think that's brilliant!!

I dunno if this is why you're describing, but attached is yet another MS Paint masterpiece that shows what i'm thinking. This could even be done as a DIY project. Easier, slightly, than drilling. You use a diamond blade and etch out the teeth at the top of the tank then silicon a DIY 3 sided acrylic box to the outside of the tank and you have an instant "built-out" overflow box! I love this idea!

BillyZ, Thats about right execept I think the back wall is drilled so basicly a moonshape is in the tank wall. Like take a circle and cut it into half.

Back
Top Bottom