New Copperband Butterfly, feeding help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RubixCube

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got a Copperband Butterfly two days ago. I have some flake food, dried brine shrimp, frozen "Mega-Marine angel" and frozen Squid. He dont even look at any of it. The guy at the LFS said he was eating brine shrimp. Is there any way i can get him to start eating? Also, is it common for a Copperband Butterfly to sort of sit around on the bottom or just hang around near the surface of the water for periods of time? Thanks

You should have made sure it was eating before you bought it. As for the sitting around, I don't think so. He may be becoming weak from lack of food. Try some mysis shrimp, and try soaking some of the foods in garlic. GL

Copperbands are awesome fish, but they are very hard to feed. Mine mostly grazes on my live rock so I think a lot of live rock is a must for anyone attempting to keep these fish. Otherwise, you are on the right track. the key is to offer a wide variety of food and see what it likes. Try forumla Two froozen food, froozen mysis shrimp or squid. Ditch the brine shrimp, it is crap. Do you know where this fish came from? Some places still use Cynide to stun fish and catchthem, even though it is outlawed in most places. This can affect the digestive system of the fish and cause it not to eat. Not to alarm you, but Copperbands do not have a good track record for being kept in captivity. Good Luck and let us know how it goes...Lando

The garlic stimulates most fishs apetites, so you might want to try it. Check your LFS for some in a bottle.

Sounds like he may have another problem. He shouldn't starve in only 2 days. Do you see any physical markings, spots etc?

He may very well be starving whos to say how long hes been in transit, at a shipers tank and then in the LFS. Moving him was a big mistake, all that did was stress him even more. Id say hes as good as dead, try to stay away from more difficult fish.

Im with quarryshark on that. Fish can last a long while without food. He looked pretty good when i got him. There was one problem at first. When i was acclimating him , he looked like he was running out of air. Breathing really fast and lying on his side. I know butterflies are a little tricky, but not that bad. I did everything with this one and he dident respond to anything. The only marks i can see now are , ragged fins , and looks like some hemoraging around his gils and upper part of his body. I treated the tank with greenex, it couldent hurt. But nothing. The guy at the LFS, who i know pretty good, said he was eating brine shrimp. Oh well, i guess it was just bad luck. Nice fish though all the same.

Brine shrimp is a useless food, it has little to no nutritional value. A fish can last a qhile with no food, but when you add in the stress factors it will run the fish down very quickly. If your going to try another try to get one thats eating somehting better than brine. Sorry he didn't come through.

Sorry for your loss.
A few things that I do if I decide that I want a fish, I sit and watch hime for 15 minutes to see if he shows any signs of flashing, rubbing, etc. I also ask the lfs to feed him so I can see him eat. If its a new arrival, I put a deposit on him and come back in a few days to see how the fish is doing before I take him home.
Good luck, the Copperband is a cool fish, I hope you get a better result next time.

Sorry for your loss...the Copperband is one of my personal favorites. I have a good thing going with my LFS. The manager has been in the business for years and he is very kowlegable...never lead me astray. he is there to educate, not to sell. Good education with good customer service will bring back repeat customers and generate positive word of mouth. If I am looking for a certain fish, he will order it for me. He calls me when it comes in and I pick it up in the bag it was shipped in, bring it home and right into my QT tank it goes. This saves a lot of stress on the fish over numerious nettings and tank changes. He knows my set up and if I have a loss he just gives me store credit, no questions asked. Pick a LFS you trust and develope a good relationship with them and you will be surprised of the "percs" that come with it.

Back
Top Bottom