Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-24-2004, 05:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to RubixCube Send a message via MSN to RubixCube
New Copperband Butterfly, feeding help?

I just got a Copperband Butterfly two days ago. I have some flake food, dried brine shrimp, frozen "Mega-Marine angel" and frozen Squid. He dont even look at any of it. The guy at the LFS said he was eating brine shrimp. Is there any way i can get him to start eating? Also, is it common for a Copperband Butterfly to sort of sit around on the bottom or just hang around near the surface of the water for periods of time? Thanks

Old 04-24-2004, 05:16 PM   #2

You should have made sure it was eating before you bought it. As for the sitting around, I don't think so. He may be becoming weak from lack of food. Try some mysis shrimp, and try soaking some of the foods in garlic. GL
Old 04-24-2004, 05:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

he was eating at the lfs. he was eating brine shrimp. What do you mean by soaking them in garlic?
Old 04-24-2004, 05:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Copperbands are awesome fish, but they are very hard to feed. Mine mostly grazes on my live rock so I think a lot of live rock is a must for anyone attempting to keep these fish. Otherwise, you are on the right track. the key is to offer a wide variety of food and see what it likes. Try forumla Two froozen food, froozen mysis shrimp or squid. Ditch the brine shrimp, it is crap. Do you know where this fish came from? Some places still use Cynide to stun fish and catchthem, even though it is outlawed in most places. This can affect the digestive system of the fish and cause it not to eat. Not to alarm you, but Copperbands do not have a good track record for being kept in captivity. Good Luck and let us know how it goes...Lando
Old 04-24-2004, 08:24 PM   #5

The garlic stimulates most fishs apetites, so you might want to try it. Check your LFS for some in a bottle.
Old 04-24-2004, 08:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Its not looking good. i have him in a sepreate tank and now he is just lying on his side and breating very quickly.
Old 04-24-2004, 08:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Sounds like he may have another problem. He shouldn't starve in only 2 days. Do you see any physical markings, spots etc?
Old 04-24-2004, 08:48 PM   #8

He may very well be starving whos to say how long hes been in transit, at a shipers tank and then in the LFS. Moving him was a big mistake, all that did was stress him even more. Id say hes as good as dead, try to stay away from more difficult fish.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:15 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Im with quarryshark on that. Fish can last a long while without food. He looked pretty good when i got him. There was one problem at first. When i was acclimating him , he looked like he was running out of air. Breathing really fast and lying on his side. I know butterflies are a little tricky, but not that bad. I did everything with this one and he dident respond to anything. The only marks i can see now are , ragged fins , and looks like some hemoraging around his gils and upper part of his body. I treated the tank with greenex, it couldent hurt. But nothing. The guy at the LFS, who i know pretty good, said he was eating brine shrimp. Oh well, i guess it was just bad luck. Nice fish though all the same.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:59 AM   #10

Brine shrimp is a useless food, it has little to no nutritional value. A fish can last a qhile with no food, but when you add in the stress factors it will run the fish down very quickly. If your going to try another try to get one thats eating somehting better than brine. Sorry he didn't come through.

Tags
butterfly, feeding, fly

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com