New coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cb24

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm new to corals and was just wondering how long it takes for corals to open? I have Kenya tree coral

What kind of lights do you have? Kenya's are kinda low light corals and they tend to take a few days to open if everything in your tank is in check...

I have t5 metal halides. Also it came with a plug on it. Where should I place it? In the sand with the plug on? Or should I put it on a rock?

If you have good parameter it will open soon and grow everywhere in you tank

So it's fine if I leave it in the sand? And how long till I see growth?

Would t5 metal halides be sufficient for the Kenya coral tree?

You have t-5 and metal halides? Or are the t-5 actinic? Should be fine or Kenya tree. It won't grow overnight, just be patient ;)

The t5 are actinic and two t5 HO fluorescent daylights but I know I'm just making sure I realize if still alive after a couple days. When should I start to see growth? I just wanna make sure I'm on par with growth rate

I don't have a Kenya tree but I would say post pics daily and get some responses if you are worried. A lot of corals can take a few days to open up and get accustomed to their new environment. Just to save confusion, it is just the t-5 you have, not metal halides, they are a different type of light altogether...

Oh my bad about the lights but is the t5 fine for soft coral? I was told they were just seeing what you think

Yup, they should be fine. So you got 2 x white an 2 x actinic yeah? What wattage are they? I used to have the same ones over my 55g only reason I changed was the replacement bulbs thingy :)

I don't remember the watts but reviews seem good so that's why I went with them haha but ya I heard changing the bulbs can build up after awhile but my last question for the coral is how do you get it off the plug it came on?

Ah, that I can't help you with either. I have never bought a frag on a plug mine all come on bits of live rock. I am guessing you would leave it on there? Hopefully someone else can help you there... I liked the t-5s I think they are a good choice over a 55g and you can always add more if you wanna do sps down the track. Post pics of your new additions!

You want to keep the frag on the plug. It will over grow it with time.

In terms of t5, still a good light choice for a 55. 55 to me is the last step before you get into large tanks, where t5ho don't make economical sense to me.

This is what it looks like in the morning. Is something wrong with it?

Attachments

• image-1270445326.jpg
    image-1270445326.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 61
Not yet I think. Ive it another 2 or 3 days, then see how its doing. Remember these are flowers or plants, they're not going to always "open" in a matter of minutes. Try to give it a low flow area and just let it do its think. Kenya's are pretty resilient.

I wouldn't worry to much about it.. Give it a little bit of time to adjust and it will be fine.

Ya it picked it self up right so it's not wilting anymore so I guess you can say I'm just double checking haha

Back
Top Bottom