New coral frag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beej1254

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got a new coral frag from a fellow reefer yesterday. The frag I got is a Hawkin Echinata Acropora. I don't have any acros yet so this is my first one. I'm not sure what to look for to tell if it's healthy or not.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's probably A. lokani and not one of the easier acros. Smooth skinned or deep water as some people call them can be tough. It's almost 100% impossible to Id at that size though. I had an ORA Hawkins mini colony that was growing beautifully for me and then it just rtn overnight and I lost it.

That one has a lot of coloring up to do but good luck.

Thanks for the information I appreciate it. I'm hoping it survives and does well in my tank. Always happy to add new pieces as long as I can support them. It's hard to say no when someone offers to give you one.

Thanks for the information I appreciate it. I'm hoping it survives and does well in my tank. Always happy to add new pieces as long as I can support them. It's hard to say no when someone offers to give you one.

Haha I completely agree. Can't say no to free frags! From my experience it is a pretty slow grower but when it fully colors up man is it a beautiful coral.

Im hoping I can keep it successfully

Here's another frag from the same guy. It's an Idaho Grape Monti. Again never had one and I did some reading on requirements and placement. I put it down on this rock even though I don't want it here just to give it a chance to get acclimated and grow out a little. To me it doesn't look that healthy. I'm wondering if I let it grow out in this spot if I'll be able to move it without hurting it?

I'm considering putting together a quick lighting defuser frag rack and letting newer frags grow out before placing them. Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom