Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question New Coral Problems - help please

Hi...3 tank family. I had a 12 gal nano...everything was wonderful, beautiful corals, no issues. My son has a 55 gallon, just starting out with corals..was to be just a fish tank. Now I've upgraded to a 30 gallon tank with metal halides.

Found an incredible source for coral polyps (zoos) with colors that are amazing! Brought them home after checking my water (in the 30 gallon) multiple times, everything is perfect alk/mag/nitrites/nitrates/amm/cal BUT the polyps won't open up and some of the corals that were moved from the 12 gallon tank like frogspawn and even the xenia look like they are shriveling.

The metal halide light on there is 14K. I have a 10K bulb but it won't be as blue I know.

Please tell me what we are doing wrong. I wonder if it is too much light for the zoos/frogspawn/etc.? I've only got one small brain and all the rest are soft corals/polyps/mushrooms/etc.

Advice welcome & wanted badly please!!!! Thanks everyone.

Laurie Mae

Old 01-09-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think you need to climatise your corals to the new light,maybe put some layers of glass on the tank and gradually remove them.

David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Post your water parameters please. Also could be very much too much light all of a sudden. Most folks will take window screen material and use some layers and remove one at a time. How long ago did you add them?

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:40 PM   #4

thanks but...

what do you mean by that?

When we brought them home we just put them in (as the coral frag sellers instructed). We are getting different opinions on covering tank with glass or not. I had the top covered with glass but the water temp got too high so now it's off.

Is that ANYTHING to do with what you mean?

Thanks David
Old 01-09-2011, 02:46 PM   #5

Matt, my son does the testing and also took it to two coral/fish stores who all said water was perfect.

salt 1.025
amm/nitrate/nitrite 0
calcium 420
mag 1200
pot I THINK 1400? (can't remember) but they said level was good.
Water temp is 78 degrees

Son's tank is now struggling as well and he didn't put anything new in.

My
Old 01-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #6

Whoops...sorry. My water temp is 78 degrees
Old 01-09-2011, 02:50 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

You want to use screen material, not glass to light acclimate corals to more light than they are used to. Buy a roll of screening material at HomeDepot or Lowe's, etc. Cut about 5 sheets to cover your tank. Remove 1 sheet after a week and 1 every week thereafter till none are are left.

Mike also asked you post the actual numbers for your water parameters. Perfect turns out to be a very subjective statement. Also state which test kits you are using. Test strips are generally not very accurate.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:21 PM   #8

Cool answers...

Hi David/Matt/et al

Thank you for advice. I happen to have screen material so I will do that today for sure. The water parameters are posted below...best I can remember.

I will write down the numbers each time they/my son test. Not using strips, we have a real water testing kit.

Question - what temperature should ideally the tanks be at. My son's (55) tank, everything was thriving, but now his polyps have closed up tight. He has the ones that stand a few inches and ones that are flat. When I put all the new frags in my 30 gallon tank, (with metal halide) my xenia, frogspawn, tall polyps (button?) mushrooms, colt were all thriving beautifully. Now...not so much. Mushrooms are fine...nothing else is open or looking healthy at all.

We have had differing opinions on water temp. Had a glass top and was told to take it off. Water temp this morning was 72 degrees but at end of day is 78 degrees. I'm used to a no brainer nano so trying to do this with metal halides has a learning curve for sure. Son's (55) water temp is 76 degrees.

Call me confused and frustrated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d View Post
You want to use screen material, not glass to light acclimate corals to more light than they are used to. Buy a roll of screening material at HomeDepot or Lowe's, etc. Cut about 5 sheets to cover your tank. Remove 1 sheet after a week and 1 every week thereafter till none are are left.

Mike also asked you post the actual numbers for your water parameters. Perfect turns out to be a very subjective statement. Also state which test kits you are using. Test strips are generally not very accurate.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:50 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

You`ll need to get a heater as 72 degrees is too cool. 78 degrees is OK. Get a heater and set at 78 degrees.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:53 PM   #10

Thanks.....I live in Florida. Last year my tank waters were too hot and I was thinking I would have to get a chiller! This winter we've had quite a bit of colder weather and now the tanks are up/down all over the place.

I appreciate all the help and advice. Thanks so very much!

Tags
coral, coral problems

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com