New Coral Questions (PICS INCLUDED)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all, I bought some coral while I was in FL. week before last, and traveled about 10hrs with them in the car home. They seem to be doing great, but I was wondering what I should do to ensure their health, and make them grow.

Button Poylp Colony
Cabbage Leather

The lfs in FL was awesome. They had buy one get one free. So I did.

Also I got some pulsating xenia from a lfs Sunday, and it seems to be doing fine, except it is not pulsating. Any comments on that?

TIA!! :wink:

PS. I will post some pics later today!

I'm sure they will do fine.. nothing out of the ordinary is required really. Lots of light and good flow.

I wouldn't worry about the pulsing xenia.. sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.. and for no apparent reason either.

Can't wait to see pics!

make sure the xenia is not in a direct flow of current. When I first got mine it would not pulse and then someone suggested the flow issue. Has been pulsing ever sense.

In my reef club there was a guy that told me that my ALK was low, since my Pulsing Xenia wasn't pulsing. Sure enough I check my ALK and it was low. Once I raised the ALK it started pulsing away. Has not stopped since my ALK was raised . I am not sure if it was a coincidence or not , but it worked for me :D

but I have also read about Xenia and it does say that there is no reason for Xenia to pulse/not pulse.

As far as the other guys they will be more then fine with 10hr in a car :D

well my pulseing xenia i have found do not pulse when any level get out of wack. like my refractometer was off and my salt was high and it was not pumping then but when i brought it down is started again. just start that xenia on the top of your rock becasuse that is going to be the place it stops at any way. but as for the high flow mine is right in front of the return pump from the sump and that is like 600 gph and they love it. they pump but not as fast.

Well heres some pics of the corals, and my tank, which is finally growing a little. Also heres a pic of my new royal gramma.

PS. The gramma seems to have some small white places...... :roll:

That is 105lbs of LR in a 75 gal tank? I have the same tank and just a bit more LR but my tank looks stuffed compared to yours.

Looks nice

That is 105lbs of LR in a 75 gal tank?

I thought that it didnt look like enough at first, then the good folks here on AA explained that because my rock is so dense, then it probably was 105pds. It is thick roch al the way through. :wink:

Side note: The crappy back ground will be gone very soon too. It was a newb thing if you know what I mean. :wink:
Also the water does need to be topped off.

Nice to know about the Xenia.

Mine pulses like mad. I fragged an arm off of it and attached it to an empty clam shell and it's pulsing like mad too.

That is some dense rock. I have 100# of LR from www.liverocks.com and it fills a lot more than that on my 75.

Back
Top Bottom