New corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adamski

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm looking to get my first coral(s) this weekend. I've got a Tao tronic LED unit and was wondering what I could get. Something easy ideally!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

40G/180.

Both ideally!

Then I would go with some easy zoas like dragon eye zoas and then some green star polyps. And then just some other softies you like. Unless your planing an sps tank

90 gal reef

40 gallons is not huge. I personally would stay away from anything fast growing and/or invasive. green star polyps take up room pretty quickly. If you like them I suggest putting them on their own rock, or maybe on the back pane. Zoas are fine. Soft corals you can control are good. Stay away from kenya Tree coral, look instead for green sinularia. They have better color, and they don't spread all over the place. Mushrooms can get out of hand. If you like them I suggest Florida Ricordea.
Candy cane/trumpet coral is easy
Galaxia is also easy (but needs 4" or so of space between it and neighboring corals)
Duncans
Favia
Acanthastrea
Xenia (but is invasive, so isolate it!)

To add to mr x's list most euphyllia are good. Torches, frogspawn and hammers. Just leave some space as they can have long sweeper tentacles

Thanks for the advice guys. Really excited about this as it really is the draw to the hobby. Will I need to add any calcium/alk to my system for those? I was given a Red Sea reef foundation kit for free yesterday :)

Thanks for the advice guys. Really excited about this as it really is the draw to the hobby. Will I need to add any calcium/alk to my system for those? I was given a Red Sea reef foundation kit for free yesterday :)

Not at first and not if you water change. I had a 50 gallon stocked with LPS coral (torches, frogspawn,ect) and didn't ahve to add. Its when you get into fast growing sps like montipora that you really see your levels go wonky. If you start with a few sps you'll be fine.

I'd suggest some nice open brain coral for your sand bed or Maybe some acans or blasto's. Nice colors and easy to keep. With those lights you aren't restricted really, you'll have enough fro whatever you want...

Just start slow and work up. Many species can live in direct contact with each other so you can create a garden of coral. Most LPS (exception is torches) can live pretty close to each other. Most soft corals do okay together as they will make defined lines between them. Most SPS corals can also sit close together. Otherwise I agree with the advice already given.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Would I be okay with just a coral dip rather than a QT? I'm really limited on space for a QT

I just dip mine. I've had flatworms once but that was before I dipped. Now I use Revive and dip the new coral to see what falls off. If I'm concerned I may not add to the display but 99% of the time I just see a star fish or something. A lot of people swear by QT and I agree, it's a great idea but I've never done it.

I have never quarantined a coral. Just use a dip like Coral RX or Revive and drop it right in. Make sure you rinse the coral well in salt water before adding it to the tank to get all the dip off.

Lotta good advice year. Only thing I would add is the toad stool leathers are easy and grow well. They can get kind of big however. Also on the green Sinulara, while I agree that they are a good choice, they can get very large. U can see that they dominate the center of my tank and are almost a foot tall each. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424642852.326241.jpg

Back
Top Bottom