New Corals and a question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tripper

Aquarium Advice Freak
I went to a new fish store today and was blown away with the quality. For anyone in the Philadelphia area, you HAVE to go to Something Fishy in Allentown PA. They have an incredible coral collection and the tanks are so well maintained. I was extremely impressed. Even though it is about an hour away from me, I do not think I will go to any other LFS store now that I've found this place.

So, I picked up a couple corals there. The first is a colony of zoos that have orange rims and a greenish/white center. They were on a neat piece of LR too. The second is a large Wellsophyllia. It was magnificent looking in the store and even though I usually like to buy small corals and watch them grow, I just had to have this. My two questions:

1) Is it ok on the sand? The woman at the store said it would be happier on a ledge because the sand could irritate it, but is still ok on the sand. I just don't have a decent ledge for this monster in my tank.

2) In the pic, it there is one section that is not inflating like the rest (on the right side). Now, it's only been in the tank for a day, so I will give it time, but just didn't know if there is anything I should do.

Enjoy the pics. I tried to take one with just the actinics on too . . . the green is even more brilliant than you can see in the pics.

tripper

Attachments

• zoos_550.jpg
    zoos_550.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 236
  • well1.jpg
    well1.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 88
  • well2.jpg
    well2.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 215
Yep you can keep that one on the sand for sure. Nice Piece btw. They shrink and grow throughout the day. So there is no need to worry. I have er (had those)exact zoos in a branch just like that. That's a shame I just gave away all of my soft corals for free :( I have about 20 differect color morphs of zoos :(

Also they are a sponsor for my reef club and they are great people. I have not gone yet, but I will get down there soon. I am just in the process of converting from a mixed reef to a SPS only tank.

Right now I take the hike to go to Dr Macs in MD. It's a 2.5 hour drive, but well worth it. :) amazing stuff and one of the coolest shops that I've ever seen.

just make sure the current is strong enough to blow any settled sand off of them. Settled sand on the polyp will irritate something fierce!

Back
Top Bottom