New corals and dosing???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ewatson249

Aquarium Advice Activist
Finally decided my tank is ready for some corals so have ordered a soft coral pack from reeftanks.co.uk. I will eventually be getting some sps and lps too but will see how the others go first. My question is what do I need to start dosing to keep them all happy and what are the best test kits for calcium etc... I need to get on eBay and start spending! ;-)

No dosing necessary. PWC`s should take care of replenishing all trace elements.

Really? What about hard coral skeleton development? Do you think I should run carbon to cut out any of the toxic warfare?!

Maybe if your tank was loaded with SPS corals than maybe. And then only after testing to make sure you need to. Never dose anything you cant test for.

Everything including calcium is in the water column from your salt mix. :)

There are those rare corals that are non-photsynthetic and require actual food but thats it.

There are members on this forum who havent fed a coral in over a decade and do quite well. :)

That makes me happier now. Thought I was gonna have to do the same thing:)

Alot of LFS and people say you should dose, but as stated earlier I wouldnt put anything in my tank that I can't test for. :)

I have not dosed anything for 13+ yrs now. Weekly or bi weekly PWC`s will do just fine.

Yes makes sense to me. I buy all my water from LFS so probably need to find out what salt they use just to make sure I get all the benefits! I would think it's pretty good stuff seeing as they stock quite a lot of corals and they seem pretty healthy to the un trained eye at least!

Back
Top Bottom