New corals and live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rmckoy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just bought all live stock from a friends tank including corals rocks and fish but before all this get introduced into my tank I'm curious
1) what are these corals ?
2) I already have about 50-60 lbs of live rock in my 75gal will another 50-60 lbs plus all these corals effect anything ?

image-2712700971.jpg

Attachments

• image-3031938472.jpg
    image-3031938472.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 127
  • image-792945982.jpg
    image-792945982.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 132
Those rocks are mostly covered in mushrooms and the green macro algae is halimeda

There is a lot of mushroom which I'm ok with , the halimeda good or bad ?
What about the middle picture what is it ?

Halimeda is ok I suppose. it does use calcium as it grows. I would rather use the calcium for corals and not algae. I don't know what that yellow stuff is. when you touch it does it retract into a mat with holes all over it? I'm thinking some dull star polyps.
More rock won't hurt anything, but as you get deeper in the hobby, you will want to get rid of a lot if not all of those mushrooms.

Halimeda is ok I suppose. it does use calcium as it grows. I would rather use the calcium for corals and not algae. I don't know what that yellow stuff is. when you touch it does it retract into a mat with holes all over it? I'm thinking some dull star polyps.
More rock won't hurt anything, but as you get deeper in the hobby, you will want to get rid of a lot if not all of those mushrooms.

I'm thinking there might be mushrooms for sale soon ,
As for anything I haven't picked it up yet , I looked at it and bought it for a good price just for the rocks .

When you remove those mushrooms, if you don't get off every bit of flesh, they will grow back. You will need to kalk paste any left over stuff on the rock.

When you remove those mushrooms, if you don't get off every bit of flesh, they will grow back. You will need to kalk paste any left over stuff on the rock.

Are they hard to frag ?

Mr x :
If I put all this rock corals and fish in my tank is this a bad idea ?
I'm thinking this much at once could it start a nitrogen cycle ?
And in the end killing everything ?
Ill refresh you on what I have ,
70-75 gal with about 65 lbs live rock ,
And this purchase will consist of another 50-60 lbs of rock ,
All the corals I sent you pictures of ,
One clown fish ,
Blue damsel and a cardinal .

No, if you take it from one tank and put it in another, it will not start any cycle. It's already established rock with a bacteria colony. How will you transport it and how long will this take? I would suggest using rubbermaid bins and trying to keep it submerged the entire trip.

No, if you take it from one tank and put it in another, it will not start any cycle. It's already established rock with a bacteria colony. How will you transport it and how long will this take? I would suggest using rubbermaid bins and trying to keep it submerged the entire trip.

Ok .
It will be about a hour maybe 2 hours by the time I take them out of one and into mine .

Totally submerged ?
Or just keep them moist/ damp ?

Well, some think that's fine, but I say, why risk it if you don't have to?
I would try to keep as much of that rock under water as I could. The guy is breaking his tank down anyway, right? Just use his water.

Well, some think that's fine, but I say, why risk it if you don't have to?
I would try to keep as much of that rock under water as I could. The guy is breaking his tank down anyway, right? Just use his water.

Thanks mr x
After I get the rocks out in 2 totes ill try to fill with water .

Back
Top Bottom