New corals and placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdergar

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've picked up a torch and a clam.

As I had trouble with my previous torch I'm wondering about placement of the torch. Should I light acclimate it? I have it midway in the tank, actually just below with low flow. I have T5 HO lighting. There is just enough flow to keep the tentacles moving gently. But I'm more concerned with the light if it's too much and should i drop it lower. The tank is 26" deep.

Also anytime I have seen clams in an aquarium I've seen them sitting on the sand at the bottom. Is this the best place for them? Also I've found some pages saying feed them and others saying let them be. Any hints?

I guess with everything in our hobby there is tones of contradicting info. Just trying to get to the bottom of it.

Thanks...Steve

lol here ill try to help again.

for the torch i think they may need moderate flow, LA suggests placing it on the bottom, probably because its so aggressive.

as for the clam i've seem them everywhere, if you can't support the light it needs then don't put it on the bottom, i think it should be fine as long as it has enough to filter feed

I have both and they`ve been there for a while now. My torch is about mid level with moderate flow and my clam is on the substrate with low to moderate flow. I also have moderate lighting with my VHO`s. What type clam are we talking about?

No need to feed the clam. In a 26" deep tank you may want to place it higher. Can you post a pic from the side showing the shell. Some clams want to attach in/between rocks while most are fine on the sand bed.

i agree with the above as the clam doesn't need supplemental foods.
by "feeding" the clam, folks mean to add food to the water column. never try to squirt food into it.
btw, the statement about clams under 2" not being able to live without supplemental feeding is incorrect.

looks like a crocea to me.

Back
Top Bottom