New Corals... new to the tank & new to me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovemyreef

Aquarium Advice Regular
We've just bought our first 3 frags within the past couple of weeks. We've got a Kenya tree, bi-color button polyps and star polyps. The frags are all quite small due to cost restrictions. The Kenya tree seems to be doing well. Our star polyps opened the first couple days we had them and have now been closed up for the last 4 days without a sign of life :(. We've tried blowing it off with a baster with no success. This was one I was most excited about due to it's bright color and reputation to grow wild. Any thoughts on this? How would I know if it's dead?

Also, our button polyps look good, but I'm not sure about their placement. Their attached to a small rock frag that sits in our LR about 3-4in from the bottom of the tank. The polyps themselves aren't "on" the LR as they sit a little taller than the hole the frag is in. Will this inhibit their growth?

Any other recommendations for corals that are relatively easy to keep? Our lighting is T5 bulbs. Our LFS assured us that what we have should be plenty for any soft coral.

How are your water parameters? This could be the reason why your newly acquired coral isn't opening up. Although this could be a possibility, it is probably unlikely due to the fact that your other specimens are doing well. The only other reason I could think of would be the placement of the GSP. You could try moving it around your tank and see if it likes it better in a different location.

Good luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom