new crab in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darlar76

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi all

I've had my SW tank now for about 2 years. The other day i spotted something under the LR. It was a crab, a big one. It amazed me that I had never seen it before. Is it ok to have this crab in my tank. I can't get a picture of it but it's about 1.5" in diameter on it body. Brownish redish. It also has a pair of legs that are positioned in the upward direction upposed to the downward facing legs. these two legs are the second from the front(this my be normal for all crabs). And it has two clampers in the front(not the fans for filtering water). It spends its time sifting through the sand under the rocks.

I know that i should have a picture and that there are many types of crabas out there, but this is all i have. Perhaps a website you may know of where i could identify it.

Thanks

If he has been in there for this long and not hurt anything you are likely ok.....

Any idea what he may have hitchhiked in on or when?

Probobly just enjoys scavenging the sand, but the claws could pose a problem if he gets to big, of course without a pic it is hard to say.

There is a place in your profile for filling out information on your tank..such as equipment, size, and inhabitants..then people like me wont ask..hey, what all is in your tank!? :)

Other then the crab, what is in there that you are concerned about? Do you have corals? Do you have small fish? Does this crab have black tips on the ends of its claws?

Back
Top Bottom